44 | The Morning

The farmhouse loomed over Nolan as he stepped out of Rachel's Jeep Cherokee. He paused at the edge of the driveway, eyes flicking toward the kitchen window. He was back in August, in darkness, standing and watching as Isaac...

He looked to Nora as she hopped out of the passenger seat. She wrung her hands and stared up at the house. He hesitated, then held out his hand. She took it.

Words couldn't describe how it felt to have Nora's hand in his again. To talk to her, laugh with her, to just be around her. In the lobby, the moment she grinned and joked in that way of hers, it was as though the ache inside him had crumbled.

She swallowed. "I haven't been inside yet," she said.

He squeezed her hand. "We're here," he murmured. A stupid thing to say? He wasn't sure.

"That we are," Rachel said, sidling next to them. She squinted up at the house. "We'll get you out of here as quickly as possible, okay?" She paused. "Or, if you want to take your time, that's okay, too. Whatever you're most comfortable with."

"Thanks, Rachel."

Rachel kissed the top of Nora's head. "Anything for you, favorite niece."

Andy's Jeep zoomed down the street and pulled to a noisy stop in the driveway. Nolan was honestly shocked he hadn't gotten there first.

"I come bearing gifts!" Andy called, hopping out of the Jeep. He opened the backseat door—the back was bursting with boxes.

Nora grinned. "Thanks, Candy Cane."

"No idea if you'll need all of this," he said. "But here they are. We could make a fort with the extras." His eyes widened. "Damn. That would have been fun to film for the music video." He faltered, realizing what he'd said. "Shit. Sorry."

"No, you're right," Nora said. "It would have."

"I finished it," Nolan said.

"What?" she asked.

"The music video. I finished it."

"Holy shit, man!"

Nora beamed. "Can we watch it?" she asked.

"Are you sure you want...?"

"Of course!" She grinned. "Viewing party after we finish packing?"

He nodded. "Sure."

While they waited for Nathan to arrive with Max and Erin, they emptied Andy's car of cardboard boxes. They didn't carry them inside, not yet, but brought them up to the porch and set them by the front door. Nolan did his best not to hover over Nora as she moved up and down the driveway. They had made up, yes, but he was still nervous that if he pushed too hard, she'd change her mind.

He was halfway back to the Jeep when Nathan arrived, parking his van on the side of the road. It was time.

"Who's ready to move some furniture?" Max shouted as he jumped from the backseat and bounded toward them.

"Oh, I'm so ready," Nora said.

Max squeezed her shoulder.

"After, we're having a viewing party," Andy announced.

"A viewing party?" Erin asked. She shut the van door behind her. "Of what?"

"Nolan finished the music video."

Erin gasped. "Oh, yay!"

Nathan joined them, and then it was time to go inside. Max went inside first, then Andy, then Erin, each carrying a couple of boxes into the foyer. Nora hovered in the entryway. She looked over her shoulder, at Nolan, and held out her hand. He took it in his, thumb automatically rubbing hers. She faced the door again.