Chapter 14

Ali stepped out of the woman's shelter feeling like she had finally accomplished something. She knew that writing a book on mental abuse in relationships was going to do some good in the future, but volunteering at the shelter was going to make a difference now.

And Ali really wanted to start living her life again. For so long, it felt like she had been of this world but not in it. First in her unhappy marriage and then her very unhappy post-marriage phase. Meeting Sam had been a light in her life, but she needed more. Being isolated in the Hampton's had left her antsy and a little lonely.

Now she was in the great city of New York, living full time with her boyfriend in an amazing apartment and had even made a new friend. Emily had been kind to Ali at the Harrington family brunch and she liked the woman's attitude. They had plans to get together later in the week for lunch.

Still, it wasn't enough, and Ali wanted to be useful. With all the free time Ali had on her hands, volunteering made the most sense. Yes, she could get a job, but Ali felt that her writing was what she needed to focus on right now. Sam had encouraged her, agreeing that helping others, meeting other women, and men, in similar situations would be good for Ali.

So, Ali had done her research and selected this shelter to see if they needed any assistance. Turns out, like most non-profit organizations, they were desperate for additional helping hands. They had given her some reading material as homework to start with and she had an appointment to come back and meet other volunteers at an orientation session.

She opted to walk back to the apartment, work off a little excess energy. When she was almost home, Ali decided to treat herself to a cappuccino. She had just burned off all those calories after all.

Ducking into what was fast becoming a favourite café, Ali placed her order and was waiting when she noticed a familiar tall, dark and handsome man sitting at a table by the window.

Grabbing her drink and went over to him. "Noah."

A wide and perfect grin spread across the man's gorgeous face. "Ali. Imagine meeting you here."

"Actually, I live just around the corner."

"Really. Well isn't this great. Are you headed there now?"

"Yes."

"Wonderful. Let me walk you." Not giving Ali a chance to say no, Noah stood up, donning his jacket and wrapped a long scarf around his neck, giving him that starving artist vibe. It looked good on him.

Outside Ali inquired as to what Noah as doing in her neck of the woods.

"Oh, I was just visiting my accountant. The man insists I drop by and discuss business every now and again." Noah stuffed his hands into his coat pockets, shivering against a sudden breeze that hit them as they turned the corner. "I hate the dollars and sense part of what I do. But a man has to eat."

Ali laughed at his demeanour. She had known many artists in her old life and always loved their blatant disregard for the mechanics of what made the world go around. Things like the basic necessities in life just somehow seemed to come their way.

She was on the verge of asking him how his business was doing when a woman walked in front of them, halting their progress.

"Are you Alexandria Stinson?"

Alarm bells went off inside Ali's head at the use of her full first name. No one who knew her used it. It was only used formally at functions and in the press.

Noah jumped in before Ali could reply. "Who's asking?"

The woman took in Noah and shifted her attitude to produce a big smile. "Hi," She licked her lips. "I'm Penelope Mathison. And you are?"