3. The Bathroom

(Author's Note: this chapter is dedicated to Kaiddance who not only has her own entry for the ONC 2020 - Knight of Fire, but is also promoting other writers with her book of first chapter reviews - Open Novella Rec Book 2020)

Wondering quite what he was letting himself in for, Kai followed Ash out a side door and into a long brightly lit passage, lined with elaborately carved doors, decorated with pink and gilt trim. Ash opened the first door and led the way into a bathroom big enough to encompass the entire apartment Kai was currently staying in. The pink and gilt theme continued in here, with gold fittings and pink tiles on the floor. A little bit too much of a good thing, in Kai's honest opinion.

The shiny brass bath was big enough for two, but as he'd come to expect, there was no sign of a shower. Of more immediate use were the two large hand basins, set against the opposite wall, each accompanied by a stack of fluffy towels on the bench beside them.

Ash strode over to the nearest basin and turned on the hot tap. "Be my guest," he invited, waving Kai over to the second basin. Carefully Ash removed his cape and waistcoat and stood there in his shirtsleeves, rolling them up out of the way. He rinsed his handkerchief in the basin and scrubbed the makeup off his face and neck.

Kai flicked a glance sideways at him, and then another. There was just something about a well-muscled man in a loose white shirt with water dripping down his neck... Without the makeup on his face, he could see Ash was pale skinned, his dark blue eyes and black hair a striking contrast.

The jester suit was a one piece, so the best Kai could do was wash his face as carefully as he could. He sighed as the water ran down his arms, soaking the suit. He'd lose his deposit for sure.

Ash handed him a towel, then dried off as best he could, tossing the towel into a large basket under the sinks once he'd finished.

"I feel guilty about the mess," confessed Kai, casting a wry eye over the previously pristine bathroom.

"Don't worry," said Ash. "My mother will have given the servants a large bonus to clean up after tonight."

"Your mother? This is your house?" asked Kai, taking a small step backward. Just who had he got involved with here? This house must be worth a million pounds, at the least.

"No way. I moved out of home years ago. I have my own place over on Camberwell Street."

Ash was staring, studying him closely, but with the jester's costume encasing his entire body apart from his face, Kai knew it was hard for anyone to tell exactly what he looked like. All anyone could see for certain were two bright hazel eyes, hints of a light brown skin and a lithe body.

"So, how do you know my mother then?" Ash asked.

Fortunately, Kai had come prepared for that very question, though he'd hardly been expecting to answer to Lady Calvin's son. "I don't know Lady Calvin personally, but I do some work from time to time for one of her charities, the Orphans' Benevolent Fund. They had a spare ticket."

Ash raised an eyebrow.

Kai realised immediately he had made a mistake. A spare ticket? To Lady Calvin's exclusive New Year's Eve party? How unlikely was that! But Ash stayed silent, it seemed he was choosing to keep his suspicions about party crashing to himself. He wasn't going to challenge him, not yet, at any rate. Sweet!

Ash put his waistcoat back on and slipped the cape on over his shoulders. "I don't know about you, but I'm ready for another drink. I'm not generally a big drinker, but it is New Year's Eve, after all, and there's French champagne. Will you come and join me?"

Kai hesitated before answering and Ash's smile faded as if realising he might have leapt to unwarranted conclusions. "Or are you here with somebody else tonight?" he asked evenly. Kai saw the muscle in his jaw tightening as Ash waited for his reply.

Here was his excuse to back away, thought Kai. All he had to do was say he was with a companion and they would go their separate ways, the kiss just an isolated incident. An enjoyable memory. He knew he should be focussing on his assignment, keeping his distance from any kind of personal involvement, but... he didn't want to. Ash was the most interesting man he had met for ages.

Surely one evening wouldn't hurt?

(Author's Note: Reached the 2K milestone here - not counting all the Author's notes, lol. Whoo Hoo!!)