Chapter 2

Gabriela groaned as she struggled to get off the floor. She looked towards the window and saw that the sun was starting to rise. I'd rather be early than late to school she thought to herself. She also knew that the more time she spent out of the house, the less time she would spend being beat. She painfully changed her clothes before heading to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Once she was done getting ready, she grabbed her school bag before tiptoeing down the stairs. She made her way to the kitchen, grabbing a banana.

"You don't have to sneak around. He left already."

"Thanks," mumbled Gabriela as she turned to leave the kitchen.

"Gabi, please stop! I know you are not happy but you don't understand why he's like this," her aunt pleaded.

"You're really defending him?! No excuse you tell me can justify why you let him treat me like a punching bag!" she gritted out. "I can't breathe! I can't move my arm or feel my fingers. He's going to end up killing me..."

"I'm not defending him," she protested.

"But you're not defending me either." Gabriela let out a painful sigh. "It doesn't matter. It never does...I gotta go. I don't want to be late to school." She walked out of the kitchen leaving her aunt calling behind her. She couldn't listen to her aunt try to beg for forgiveness yet again. She held the paper with her left hand that had the schools information. She had no idea where the school was or how to get there. Right as she went to walk down the walkway, her uncle's car pulled up.

"Get in the car," he called out to her. She made her way down to the car and slid into the passenger seat. "Good choice of clothes." He studied the long jeans and long sleeved shirt. "Pay attention to how to get there because you're going to be walking."

"Yes sir," she responded quietly as she looked out of the passenger window.

After a ten minute drive, her uncle pulled into the school parking lot. "Go to the office and get your schedule. Tell them you don't need a bus."

"Yes sir," she responded softly as she used her left hand to open the door. She quickly walked around the vehicle to make her way to the building but yelped when her uncle got out of the car and grabbed her right arm.

"Remember my warning," he growled gripping her arm tighter.

Gabriela nodded as she tried to blink back her ears. When he yanked her arm again, she cried out. "Yes sir!" she sobbed. "I remember!"

Gabriela and her uncle were so caught up in her pain that they didn't notice the group of boys approaching them.

"Hey!" yelled one of them as they approached the car. "Is something wrong?"

"No, just talking with my niece." He gripped her harm harder as he twisted it a little, sending her a silent warning to keep her mouth shut. "Isn't that right, Gabi?"

Not trusting the tone in her voice to betray her, she simply nodded as she stared at the ground. Her uncle released her arm, nodding his head at her motioning for her to head into the school.

"What warning was she supposed to remember?" asked the same boy from earlier.

Gabriela froze at his question. How did he hear her uncle when he was nowhere near the car? Not sure on what she should do, she glanced at her uncle who was already seething with anger.

"I don't know what your'e talking about. Gabi, get to class," he ordered. "I changed my mind, I will be picking you up from school today."

She simply nodded as she turned to head towards the school. She knew the longer her uncle stayed out there with those boys, the more questions they would ask. Making her way through the two sets of double doors, she made her way to the office to collect her class schedule along with her locker details. She followed the poorly printed map to her locker and began to work on the combination. This would be a whole lot easier if I could use my right hand, she thought to herself. She tried two more times unsuccessfully before leaning her head against the locker in frustration.

"Having trouble?"

She slowly turned around to see the same group of boys from earlier. She simply shook her head before turning around to try the combination one more time.

"How about I help you?" he offered as he held his hand out. She handed him the paper with the combination as she looked at the ground. "Hey, I know we're scary looking but you don't have to look at the floor," he joked as he opened the locker.

She nodded as she slid past him to awkwardly start putting things in her locker. Her cheeks burned as she could feel the group of boys watching her from behind.

"What's your name?" he asked. He waited a few seconds before offering his. "I'm Seth." When she didn't respond he took a step closer to her. "If you don't want to tell me your name, that's cool." He observed her as she struggled with one hand trying to get herself situated to start the day. "Here let me help you," he offered as he reached for her right arm.

Letting out a painful hiss, she dropped her books as he touched her arm. This is exactly what wasn't supposed to happen today. No attention. Those were his exact words. She kneeled down to try and grab her books again with one hand.

"Stop," commanded Seth. "Let me help you," he said in a softer tone as he reached for her books this time. "What's your first class?" he asked. When she didn't reply again, he let out a growl causing Gabriela to flinch away from him. He silently gathered her books and grabbed her schedule.  She obviously was afraid to interact with him. "Looks like we have all the same classes. Here. Follow me," he said softly as he touched her right arm again without thinking, causing her to hiss in pain. Seth stopped dead in his tracks. He tried to excuse the first noise she made when he touched her as her being shy and not liking to be touched but this time it was undeniable. She was hurt.

Seth

"Man, I wish my father would just stop setting up all these pack meets," groaned Seth. His father was the alpha werewolf of the Black Paw Pack. "He expects me to get good grades, learn pack stuff and find a mate!"

"If you would stop getting in trouble, he'd lay off," said Jace.  Jace was his beta and his best friend. "That way, we'd stop getting in trouble too," he laughed.

"No one told you guys to follow me. We all know I always get caught," he laughed. "Early pack duties at the school though? That's torture!"

The group of werewolves made their way through the wall of trees nearing their high school. As they stepped through the last row of trees near the parking lot.

"Who's that?" questioned Jace, motioning to a newer model sedan parked at the school.

Seth and the others watched the man grab the girl causing her to cry out in pain.

"Remember my warning," they heard him growl as he gripped her arm tightly.

"Someone who needs to learn to keep his hands to himself," growled Seth as they approached the car.

"Hey!" yelled Seth as they approached the car. "Is something wrong?" Seth led his group of wolves up to the car when he caught the scent of the girl before him. He his wolf stir within causing his eyes to glow. She was his mate. His excitement immediately disappeared when he saw how tight the man's grip was on his mates arm.

"No, just talking with my niece." The man gripped her harm harder as he twisted, causing him to let out a low feral growl as he continued to silently threaten his mate. "Isn't that right, Gabi?" he snickered.

Seth watched the man tell her he'd pick her up for school before watching his mate scurry towards the school. Once she was safely within the school he cleared his throat. "Sir...I'm going to assume your new here...but let me make myself clear. Keep your hands to yourself," he growled.

"Mind your own business, boy." The man glared at Seth and the others. "And keep away from my niece."

"What an ass," Jace said as they watched the car peel out of the parking lot. "That chick is gonna have a bruise from his grip." Seth let out another feral growl at his comment, this one noticeably louder than the last. "Seth, what's your problem? You sound like a territorial chihuahua."

"Him!" he growled. "He had his hands on my mate!"

<3 Thank you for reading! Please don't forget to vote <3