24. The Final Round

It's a new day, Levi realized as he gazed over the fresh snow from his bedroom window. Last night, after his talk with Matteo, Levi found it extremely difficult to fall asleep. Too many questions ran through his mind, each fighting to dominate his thoughts.

After a couple of hours of tossing around restlessly in the bed, Levi had given up and settled on the 2-seater sofa by the window and propped his feet up on the small table in front of it.

He was so lost in his thoughts, that he hadn't even noticed how the hours went by as night bled into another day. It wasn't until he saw the sky turn a beautiful, deep Blue shade that he realized this.

It will all be over today...

Levi would never admit it, but he was extremely anxious about today's meeting. The killer, the motives, the incidents leading up to the murders, everything would be revealed today. All he needed was the final piece of information from his colleagues back in the US. That would be the final nail in the coffin.

Levi stretched on the sofa and closed his eyes for a few minutes. However, he slowly felt himself slipping into a deep sleep as he felt the sunshine upon his face.

***

Robert briskly walked towards Levi's room with an envelope clutched tightly in his hand. Reaching in front of his destination, he took a deep breath to calm his nerves.

He felt as if he was in school again and the results day was upon him. Robert clearly remembered how nervous he always was to receive his result. The cold sweating, tension knotting in his stomach...

The detectives had told him that today will be the day when it all goes down. A few hours later, police would be on standby to make the arrests as the detectives slowly unravel the mystery, layer by layer.

Just thinking about the fact that he was under the same roof as a murderer chilled him.

Robert felt the weight of the envelope in his hands as he recalled the reason he was standing before Levi's room. Sighing, he composed himself and knocked on the door sharply.

After a few moments passed by without any sound coming from the opposite side of the door, he knocked again, louder this time. Satisfied when he heard shuffling sounds from inside the room, he braced himself for his interaction with Levi.

Clever and brilliant as Levi was, he always made Robert nervous as he never knew what to expect.

On the other side of the door, Levi slowly opened his eyes, coming back to his senses. He blinked slowly as his vision adjusted to the darkness inside the room. Darkness?

Levi knew he had fallen asleep but was it already night?

He turned his head and spotted a sliver of light peeking through the heavy curtains. Seeing this, Levi felt a smile tug at his lips as he realized that Charlotte had shut the curtains.

He had a soft pillow tucked under his head and a fuzzy blanket draped over the length of his body. He was still half lying on the sofa, only this time, it was much comfier, all thanks to his wife. Speaking of whom, he couldn't find her in the room.

A knock sounded at the door as Levi groaned and reluctantly dragged himself out of the warmth of the blanket and made his way to the door before wrenching it open.

Levi found himself squinting at Robert as his eyes adjusted to the bright light in the hallway. He looked at the hotel manager for two seconds, before concluding that he was nervous.

Robert shuffled on his feet and gave Levi a strained smile. He felt the detective assessing him as his critical eye did a quick sweep of his profile.