12: DECATHLON

°°°

°°°

"HOW ARE YOU FEELING?" Ned asked Eleanor, as he gave his suitcase to the bus driver. On the other hand, the girl felt that she looked like a mess: this strange, new feeling towards Peter had just been growing and growing, seeing him made her heart burst, his touch lingered on her skin, it just felt weird. Eleanor had always been an analytical person, and after pondering various nights (including last night) about what she must be feeling, she still couldn't find an answer. It was him. He just had something she couldn't point out.

"I'm fine." She replied, unlocking her phone to look at the time. 7:45 and Peter still hadn't arrived. Her right foot went up and down as her impatience grew. Ned noticed this, and placed his hand on the girl's shoulder.

"He's on his way." He said, giving Eleanor a reassuring smile.

"No, he isn't." Flash joined the conversation, pushing up his sleeves of his yellow blazer to his elbows. "Nobody cares if he-"

"Hey, It's Peter!" Abraham, Eleanor's partner in Chemistry class, yelled, making her head turn from looking at Flash to Peter, who had just arrived. Involuntarily, her heart started beating fast.

"Guys!" Peter cried breathlessly, it seemed he was running towards his friends. "I was hoping maybe I could rejoin the team."

His eyes were currently on Liz, but the moment they moved to look at Eleanor, it made her smile and her heart beat even faster.

"No, no way. You can't just quit on us, stroll up, and be welcomed back by everyone-" Flash started to argue, but before he could continue, Mr. Harrington, one of Eleanor's favorite teachers so far, jumped off the bus's steps.

"Hey, welcome back, Peter. Flash, you're back to second alternate." The man commented, grinning at Peter.

"What? Second alternate?" Flash angrily asked, taking his yellow blazer off.

"Yeah, Eleanor's first alternate, we need her." Liz commented, making Eleanor speechless.

"Excuse me, can we go already? 'Cause I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassies before dinner, so." MJ then joined the conversation as well, making everyone glance at her.

"Protesting is patriotic. Let's get on the bus." Mr. Harrington added, and everyone started to climb up into the bus.

Eleanor was last in the line, so Peter caught up with her after he placed his suitcase on the trunk.

"Hey." Peter said, looking at Eleanor with a wide grin.

As much as the girl tried to push her feelings down, she just couldn't. It was him. She didn't know how by just being himself made her crazy.