|84| Sleeping is just practice for death

Sam x Bucky
Death
◇♡

  Sam was tired but he couldn't sleep. There was a lot of things to think and worry about: the aftermath of the first snap and the final still had yet to be addressed. Everyone was talking a break, but Sam was too busy worrying about what was going to happen with himself; after Steve handed him the shield, he didn't know what to think. There was still Bucky he had to think about, they were best friends, but Sam was also Steve's best friend aside from Natasha but… but she was gone. Sam rubbed his eyes tiredly, he wished he could sleep. He shifted in the bed slightly which resulted in incoherent mumbles from Bucky who was laying next to him. They were sharing a bed because one, Tony never planned on having so many guests at his cabin and didn't bother to make many rooms and two, the compound was still destroyed and everyone thought it would be best if that all stayed close. It was weird, everything was all so weird to Sam, Tony's funeral, Natasha's death, Steve giving him the shield. It was all so surreal, another fact that made Sam so confused was how he laid next to Bucky and that was that. They didn't bother to make any jokes with any undermining emotions, Sam and Bucky just accepted the room from Pepper. 

Pepper never liked having to cater to superheroes or aliens all the time but right now didn't seem like a good time to be alone. So, mostly everyone stayed at the cabin for a bit of blissful forgetness while they sleep. 

Sam smiled sadly to himself, his glossy eyes blinking back tears as he stared at the ceiling. What was going to happen now? Sam didn't know.

He glances at Bucky and takes in the sight, it was strange how someone who'd been through hell still managed to be alive after years. He felt sympathy for Bucky, he knew after Steve came back that Bucky wasn't ever going to be the same. Sam heard crying and turned his head towards the noise, but he couldn't see anything as the person letting out their emotions was blocked by a wall. His heart clenched at the noise, the sobs of a widow  were never pleasant to hear. He debated about going to offer his bit of comfort but once he heard a tiny voice go mommy he decided against it. He knew Pepper was a strong woman after all she married Tony Stark. Sam felt slightly better after he heard their muffled speaking and the sound of a door shutting,(Sam assumed it was a bathroom they were in.) He also assumed they were headed to bed, what he should probably do, but couldn't. He just laid there unmoving as Bucky slept next to him and couldn't seem to find a way to sleep. Sam wasn't bothered by Bucky's constant moving, the only thing that bothered him was the possibility that Bucky was having a nightmare. But that idea went out the window when Bucky stopped moving after he finally settled himself closely cuddled into Sam's side. He felt Bucky curl his fingers into Sam's shirt, his grip wasn't too tight or loose. Sam could feel every breath Bucky took in and let out, it was a nice feeling, being close to someone. He kind of liked cuddling, but he just hadn't done so in so long that he was completely fine with Bucky using him as a pillow. Sam felt Bucky's legs move, Bucky twisted his whole body so they were chest to chest, and laid his right leg in the space between Sam's legs. Now Bucky had his head rested closer to Sam's shoulder and it gave Sam chills, they were closer than they had ever been before. Months ago Bucky was trying to kill him, now Bucky was less than five inches away from his face with no intent on hurting. Sam had yet to move any part of him, his arms were limp at his side, he felt if he moved Bucky would move and Sam would be touched-starved once more. He sure they both were touched-starved, for both of them it had been a lot time since the human contact they had wasn't for fighting. Sam enjoyed this moment very much. He finally manages to rest his right arm on Bucky's shoulders and mentally thanks him for not laying on his arm. He feels Bucky shift slightly, Sam immediately stills, if Bucky moved any more he would be directly on top of Sam, but he doesn't and Sam sighs. He tests out relaxing his arm against Bucky, he doesn't move. He naturally starts to curl his fingers against Bucky, something that happened when he hugged someone, and since they were laying too, Sam rubbed his hand up and down. It was more to help him sleep more than Bucky, but Sam wouldn't mind if he was on the receiving end of getting his back rubbed. It was a win-win, Sam lulls himself to sleep and Bucky receives a soothing  touch.