Chapter 2

Song: A Shitty Love Song - Jye

I find you.

It was so easy - like you were just asking me to look for you

It was so easy - like you were just asking me to look for you. I scroll through your instagram page littered with the different moments from your life.

Your social media presence is scarce, but just prevalent enough for me to learn what I need. You attend the University of Miami and, based on the quality of your photos, you study photography. You work at a local produce market downtown, just across from a quaint bookstore. Aside from your profile picture, there are no photos of you. This lack of self, however, doesn't mask your underlying crave for attention. Every like, every comment, every mention helps encourage your need of acceptance from others. As if your public account wasn't telling enough, you are determined to get noticed by the world.

And here I am.

I switch to your facebook and twitter accounts, each revealing the same amount of trust you put into the world.

Aria, don't you know that there are dangerous people out here? Having all this information, for everyone to see, leaves you extremely vulnerable. It's a good thing I'm here to protect you from these people, these outsiders, that just don't understand you like I do.

I glance through your facebook profile and notice a folder labeled "Aria's Portfolio". I click on the link, taking me to hundreds of pictures taken with expertise.You are not some self-proclaimed photographer with an IPhone, littering your feed with "aesthetic" photos that lack depth.You are the real deal.

You, Aria, are an interesting one. You hide behind the lens of your camera, taking pictures of anything but yourself. Why remain hidden in your portfolio, but stand out amongst the world? Insecurity leaks through each image as you capture the world for the best of its beauty. You are scared that you are not good enough to be shown in a museum, but I beg to differ.

Then I see it. The opportunity that I have been waiting for.

Your instagram story reveals that tonight you and your friends are going to be at The Broken Shaker bar in downtown Miami. I lick my lips in anticipation of seeing you again. Destiny is on my side as I stroll down the sidewalk towards my apartment, deciding what to wear for this grand occasion.

~ * ~

Later that night

The roar of Friday night fun fills the bar as I tuck into my corner seat, hidden from view. I pull my hood over my beanie, while watching the waitress cheerily approach me.

"Welcome! Would you like to see the drink men-", she starts.

"I'll just have a coffee, thanks."

As she walks away, I notice your entourage getting situated at a booth directly in my view. From appearance alone, I can tell that your friends differ heavily from you. In front of you sits a tall, redhead in a dress way too short. The way she stumbled in here, I could tell she was already a few drinks in. The girl nexts to her carries a grace I've never seen before. Her long braids drape over her dark shoulders, tickling the back of her off the shoulder top. One long leg is crossed over the other and she sits perfectly upright in her chair. Across from her, next to you, a dark-haired guy fills the room with his laugh. And then I see you, cheeks flushed and hair slightly tousled from earlier partying antics. The man sitting next to you whispers in your ear and you try to stifle your laugh.

Excuse me Aria, who the fuck is this? The whispering, the gentle touches, the closing space between the two of you is nothing of coincidence. Is he a boyfriend? Friend that's not really a friend? Either way, I do not like him.

A song erupts over the speakers and the four of you immediately jump out of your seats. While rushing to the dancefloor, you absentmindedly leave your phone on the table.

Well, if that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

Pushing a rogue curl under my beanie, I get up and casually make my way over to your booth. Without hesitation, your phone finds its way into my grasp and I rush towards the bathroom.

Shit. Okay, I only have about 5 minutes before you suffer from separation anxiety. Ugh, what am I doing? This is wrong. This isn't the way I get closer to you.

Images of you and the dark-haired guy cuddled up together race through my mind, chasing out what was left of my morality.

You don't need to be with guys like him. You need me. This is the only way I can make sure you steer clear of heartbreak.

Without thinking, I install the spyware on your phone and add your cloud to mine. Now, I can see each and every aspect of your life.

You don't know it yet, but this is what's best for you Aria.

I calmly walk back towards your table, relief spreading through me as I spot you still dancing. I return the phone, sit back in my corner, and wait patiently for you to leave.

                                          ~ * ~

"Call me when you get home!" you shout across the street to your friends. I watch, stealthily following, as you start your walk home. After a brisk walk, we finally arrive at your run-down apartment building. As you buzz in and open the door, I swiftly duck into your building. Luckily, you live on the first floor. Unlocking your door, you stumble into your apartment, leaving the door unlocked behind you. 

Surely, Aria, you cannot be serious. I know you're smarter than this.

I wait for a short amount of time until the sound of movement ceases from inside your apartment. I inch towards your door and my hand hesitates over the handle. I push aside my second thoughts as I step inside your apartment, finding you passed out in drunkenness on the couch. I carefully sit on the arm of the couch, watching you intently as I push back the curls from your face.

There's no going back now.