TWENTY THREE

Muscled arms surrounded her, connecting at the small of her back. Vrox was all around her, his masculinity swallowing her femininity. His hold was firm yet gentle, welcoming her against his chest but giving her the option to push him away. She didn't think the latter was possible. Vrox was her safe haven; her new Earth.

His hands felt to the slopes at her waist, nearly circling her entirely. Slowly as if hesitating, he pushed her away. Their eyes met, communicating the dozens of things that their lips couldn't.

Kira saw no hint of malice in his expression, no selfishness. His cock was saluting her, but the way he angled his thigh let her know that he had no interest in introducing her to the soldier.

He stood up, taking her with him. The glitter of something bright caught her attention, making her look down. She returned to her knees instantly, plucking Nebula's necklace from the grass.

Was this the last of her friend that she would see?

"Fuck," she whimpered as she gripped the necklace tighter. She had promised Nebula that she would take care of her. She should have fought harder, thought smarter. She shouldn't have let the girl go.

The thought of Nebula's terror gutted her. She must be screaming her throat raw, breaking her blunt nails as she fought the beast that took her.

Damn it. I have to get her back. I can't let her down.

She raised the necklace to study it. It held a copper heart-shaped locket that was split down the middle. She turned the locket around and frowned with confusion when she saw a small sun icon. The NASA symbol tended to be embroidered into devices that were solar-powered.

Why would this be on a locket?

Frowning, Kira worked to open it. It didn't take long for her to realize that it was sealed shut by magnets. She almost broke a nail in her attempts.

She blinked many times when she finally managed to open it. No family picture was inside, but rather a network of bolts, metal, and a panel.

This was a machine. A small one, but a machine nonetheless.

From the short time she spent working with Brandon, she came to realize that he loved the elements on the periodic table, namely the metals. This locket had him all over it. The man loved copper for its high electrical conductivity.

The latest project he had been working on had to do with language translation. She didn't know the details, but he was interested in instantaneously transferring language from one brain to another. The goal sounded impossible to her, especially since she didn't know much about biology or neurology.

Still, she couldn't help but dream. What if Brandon had been successful? What if the insane device he had been developing actually worked?

The thought of exchanging words with Vrox, understanding the language that he delivered through his heavy baritone, was exciting. She'd tell him a thousand things- from how sorry she was for not trusting him, to how grateful she was for his protection.

With the decision to do research on Brandon's device, she searched her skirt for a spot to pocket it. She found none.

Moving her eyes to her chest, she shrugged. Her tits were the safest vault she could offer. She couldn't risk storing the necklace in her purse since she could easily lose it.

She balled the necklace and then deposited it in one of her bra cups.

"Kira?"

She jumped, having forgotten about Vrox.

Now embarrassed, she turned to face him. Horror was written all over him.

"Don't worry. My boobs aren't a second a mouth that have to be fed," she chuckled.

Vrox's eyes fell from her breasts to her face, torn about how to react. He ultimately chose to step forward, interested in searching for the necklace that had magically disappeared.

The sky had other ideas. A shadow was cast over them, dragging Vrox's attention from the clouds on her chest to the ones in the sky.

He found a squar cruising above.

Biting a curse, he placed an arm around Kira's back and dashed for the treeline. She clung to his shoulders, shaking with every step he took. Within seconds, he had them jammed inside the safety of a tree's hollow.

Every inch of Kira was kissing his. The breasts that he had just been observing were now flat against him. She barely had any space to tip her head back and look up. He was almost two feet taller, making his shoulders summits.

A loud shriek thundered the sky, but it didn't scare her. With Vrox by her side, fear was pale.

Choosing to take advantage of the excuse to get closer to him, she placed her cheek against his chest.

His erection joined the party, pressing against her stomach like metal detector seeking attention. She didn't mind it. She trusted every inch of the male- from his sharp-toothed smile, to the scarily thick appendage between his legs.

They were there for many minutes. Unfortunately, Vrox was too distracted keeping an eye on the sky to enjoy the moment.

When he decided that the coast was clear enough, he slid outside and helped her out. She was on his back with a gentle tug. Her arms and legs wrapped around his back, seeking comfort instead of protection.

 Her arms and legs wrapped around his back, seeking comfort instead of protection