The Swan of Sherwood part 1

Guy and Meg, Matilda, Vasey and Davina are not my characters. All rights reserved and no copyright infringement intended. No money is made from my stories.

Part 1

Guy was in his chamber at the castle. Under sufferance he'd taken his first proper bath since the fiasco in the Holy Land 6 months ago, shaved and hadn't had a drink for the past five days.

He dressed in his clean spare uniform; combed out his freshly washed, flowing

dark locks and critically surveyed his reflection in the mirror.

Time to go and get this charade over and done with.

******

The charade in question was a Midsummer feast organised by Sheriff Vasey; with a hidden motive. 15 eligible young ladies had been invited and Guy was under orders to pick one of them to marry.

Vasey was getting tired of seeing his Master at Arms moping around the castle.

The man was a disgrace; unwashed and marinated in a combination of alcohol and bone deep guilt over having killed Lady Marian; who had finally admitted to Guy that she hated him and loved Robin Hood.

Not a wise move when faced with a volatile and mad with passion man holding a big, sharp sword.

The hope was that a wife would keep him off the drink for good, make him bathe and ensure he was too busy to brood.

******

Davina Vasey had come to join her elder brother in Nottingham a year ago.

Unbeknown to all but her brother she had been occupying herself by studying magic.

Sadly her taste had veered towards the dark arts.

She had been crystal ball gazing whilst waiting for the guests to begin arriving; and had made a worrying discovery.

" Gisborne will find himself a wife tonight, " she told her brother; " but I see their union bringing death to you and I. "

******

Guy was bored to tears he'd met 14 out of the 15 ladies and not a single one had interested him.

He wanted Marian, knew that there was no woman in the world to equal her; and hadn't he gone and proved how unworthy of such a woman he was by destroying her ?

He was about to make some excuse and head for home when Vasey bustled over chirping that there was one last lady for him to meet.

Vasey was in a jovial mood. Gisborne was proving hight unreceptive to feminine charms tonight.

This latest candidate for his hand was comely in her own way; but she was no beauty like the rest and appeared to be less than enchanted to be here this evening.

Vasey was feeling quite complacent as to the danger to his person and her own that Davina had predicted.

Vasey quickly introduced Harold Bennet a wine merchant from Worksop and his daughter Meg; then moved away to sit beside Davina once more.

The icy shudder that shot down Davina's spine an awful shock to the both.

" That's her, " she said in a choked whisper and looked over at Guy and Meg as they went through the ritual of meeting and greeting.

Guy looked down into twinkling eyes of a soft, sludgy green.

Meg looked up into the fathomless yet sad blue eyes of this tall, dark haired, handsome yet haunted man.

He kissed her hand and they both felt the lightning crackle of instant attraction.

For the rest of the evening Guy found himself cornered with dreadful frequency by 14 beautiful and very keen ladies. He sought out Meg Bennet whenever possible. He was delighted to find that she was as keen for his company as he was for hers.

At the end of the evening he said good night with cool politeness to the 14 hopeful beauties before they were all escorted off to their guest rooms.

He was thrilled to see that Meg had insisted her father wait so that she could speak to Guy again.

" I hope you've had a good evening Mistress Bennet ? " he asked shyly.

" Thank you Sir Guy. I've enjoyed myself very much, " she answered demurely.

They said goodnight and agreed to meet again over breakfast in the morning; then

Meg's father drew her away and she glanced back at Guy once more.

The smile she bestowed on him gave him his first sweet dream for months.

Alone in her secret chamber beneath the castle; Davina Vasey consulted her tomes filled with spells.

This relationship between Gisborne and Meg Bennett must be stopped before it started.

Her lips curled into an ugly smile of evil pleasure as she found her answer.

She cast her circle of power; stood in it's centre and chanted the incantation......

******

Meg opened her eyes and saw the glow of the rising sun outside the window of her guest chamber.

Her insides bubbled with joy as she anticipated seeing Sir Guy again. There was a

dreadful sadness about him that she longed to comfort; coupled with a hunger for love that poured from him to touch her tender heart.

Another far less pleasant tingling began to assail her : it bordered on pain and she looked down in horror at her body changing before her eyes.

Within seconds the young woman had become a swan. She opened her beak but no sound came out. She was a mute swan.

Wanting nothing but to get away she spread her wings and took off out of the window.

******

Harold Bennet was incensed; and was furiously berating Guy. His daughter had gone to bed alone in her room but was not there now.

" I saw you watching her all evening Gisborne, " he spat; " Where have you hidden her ? I demand to know. Do you intend to ruin her so she'll have no choice but to marry you ? "

Guy shook his head. " I assure you Sir that Mistress Meg's whereabouts is as much a mystery and a worry to me as it is to you. My intentions towards her are entirely honourable. Let me go and begin a search for her. "

Harold looked up at into Guy's face and saw nothing but honesty there. " We will go

and begin the search, " he corrected the younger man.