Chapter 1~ Gunther

I woke up to scent of wood chips and paint. I slinked out of my bed, trying not to wake up Fox. I grabbed an old sweatshirt and set out for breakfast.  I tip toed through the living room and over to dad’s and daddy’s  room. Both sound asleep, wrapped in their sheets. I looked at the old clock in the kitchen, 8:15. I smiled creepily, and hour and a half at least to myself. I went into the kitchen to find donuts, or at least some waffle sticks. I dig around in the fridge and find a frozen box of apple fritters from the store owner’s daughter’s wedding last week. I grab three and pop them in the toaster oven. I grab a frozen smoothie and turn on the TV.  Aladdin’s King Of Thieves, 5 minutes in. Or a Korean soap opera about a policewoman.  I take my fritters and get comfortable on one of the loveseats. I pull up the old quilt and snatch up some pillows. I glance at the stairwell. I kinda wish Aunt Julie would come up bringing Snickers the cat or Annie from the LGBT Group with her 2 year old son Dirk. Alone in the apartment is kinda boring. I hope Dad or Fox wakes up so we can open up shop or hang out at the arcade. Whatever. I end up going back into our room and sitting on the bedroom couch and playing Cards Against Humanity with some drunk college students for an hour before Daddy  gets up. I can hear his footsteps, thumping over to the kitchen to cook up eggs of heat up the other donuts. He comes into our room and looks at the bed. Fox looks like she’s gonna slip off the bed.

“Hey kiddo,”Yawns daddy as he  pushes Fox back onto her bed.” When did you wake up?”

“About 8:15, watched like 10 minutes of some Aladdin spinoff before coming in to play Cards Against Humanity.  

“Okay, have fun. Don’t hurt your eyes.” He looks back at Fox, whose head is slipping off again. He sighs and tucks her head under the pillow before leaving.

“I really need to start thinking about a second bedroom for Fox before she ends up in the ER for a broken skull. “ He mumbles.

I sigh and go back to my game. I peer up at Fox, who is finally waking up. She jumps out and pulls on her slippers.

“Morning sleepy.” I greet happily.

“Oh, hey Gunther.” She yawns as she pulls on a sweatshirt from last summer. She steals one of my fritters and joins me on the couch.

“Playing CAH again?” She whines. “You know playing it without your friends is just playing with drunk and lonely people.”    

I lightly shove her and decide to go into town. We get dressed and go see if dad is awake. After walking around the house for a good 10 minutes, we go downstairs to find the Candy shop already open.

“Dad, when did you get up?” Asks Fox as she grabs a maple stick.

‘I got up at around 8:40, but came straight downstair to open up.” He replies as he restocks the Hersheys. “ Why don’t you to go see a movie with Arlette or meet up with Soren and Kurtis?”

I grab a Hershey’s kiss and head for the door. “Okay dad, we’ll be back later!” I call out as we head for main street, hoping to find something interesting.