Chapter 5

The company rode in silence through the rain. We were cold, wet, and miserable as it poured upon us.

"Here, Mr.Gandalf, Lady Evelyn, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asks.

"It is raining, Master Dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." Gandalf says.

"Messing with the weather creates terrible problems," I clarify. "Few would dare to do such things."

"Are there any?" Bilbo asks.

"What?" Gandalf questions in return.

"Other wizards?"

"There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, the white." I scoff, we didn't get along at all. "Then there are two blue wizards; you know, I've quite forgotten their names," Gandalf admits then looks at me expectantly.

"What are you looking at me for? I've only met them once, and you expect me to remember their names?!" I question.

"Good point," Gandalf replies.

"And who is the fifth?" Bilbo asks.

"Well, that would be Radagast, the Brown," I say smiling. "I always love visiting him. Sebastian is the cutest thing I have ever seen." I loved all the animals around his home. Visiting him was something I always tried to do.

"Is he a great wizard or is he...more like you, Gandalf?"

Gandalf looks slightly offended, while I smirk a little bit at Bilbo's comment.

"I think he's a very great wizard, in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands to the East, and a good thing too, for evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

"I believe he's a fantastic wizard," I praise. "He always helps the animals, who will often be overlooked by the life of a mortal or immortal."

-------------‐---------------------------------------------------------------

We finally arrived at an old burned down farmhouse. "We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them. Thorin orders.

"A farmer and his family used to live here," Gandalf comments looking around. I jump off my horse with ease, landing silently on the ground.

"Oin, Gloin," Thorin says. "Get a fire going."

"Right you are." Gloin agrees.

"I think it would be wiser to move on," I say touching some of the burnt wood, then wiping the ash onto my black trousers.

"The hidden valley would be safer." Gandalf agrees.

"I have told you already, I will not go near that place," Thorin said turning to glare at Gandalf.

"Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

"I don't need their advice."

I heard movement beside me, turning I see Bilbo had crept up beside me to watch the argument.

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us." Gandalf says.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the elves looked on and did nothing. You asked me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father." Thorin says full of anger.

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did know that they were yours to keep."

Gandalf's face was full of anger. He began to walk fast-paced away as Bilbo followed him.

"Everything all right? Gandalf where are you going?" Bilbo asked innocently.

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense."

"Who's that?"

"Myself, Mr.Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day!"

I watched as Gandalf walked away from us disappearing into the hills and trees.

"Come on, Bombur, we're hungry," Thorin said grumpily.

"Is he coming back?" Bilbo asks.

"Who knows, Bilbo, he comes back whenever he is needed, or when he means to. That's what wizards do." I said.

The sky grew darker and the stars grew brighter throughout the night. The fire cast shadows on the ground and the smell of the food was divine.

I was handed two bowls of stew before I got up to leave the company, where Thorin was sitting looking over the map silently.

"Keep looking at the map that hard and you're going to burn holes in it," I said causing Thorin to jump in surprise.

"I need to get you a bell if you're going to keep sneaking up on me." I chuckled at his reaction.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," I said while handing him his bowl of stew.

He nodded his head in thanks as I sat next to him.

"You know I think Gandalf was right."

"About what, the elves?" He said with a slight sneer.

"Yes, they weren't the ones who betrayed your grandfather and father. Thranduil did the Mirkwood elves. Not the Rivendell elves."

As he thought it over I studied his face.

He had dark brown hair with streaks of gray. Dark blue eyes with heavy-set eyebrows. He also had a beard, but not long and braided like the others. It was short, but not stubble like Kili's. He was actually quite handsome, I'm not afraid to admit it. But I don't think I would ever be ready to truly love someone again. I can't have what happened to my family, my brother, again. And be left alone, broken.

From behind us, I could hear the voice of Bilbo. "He's been a long time."

"Who?" Bofur asks.

"Gandalf."

"He's a wizard! He does as he chooses. Here, do us a favor. Take this to the lads."

I heard the movement of bushes, telling us that Bilbo had left. The dwarves laughed and spoke to each other. While Thorin and I sat in silence.

A little while later we hear more rustling of trees, causing the dwarves to stop. Unsheathing my sword, I turned away from Thorin. Fili and Kili ran out, out of breath.

"Bilbo!" They panted.

"What did you two, and that hobbit do now?" I asked annoyed.

"Trolls." They replied.

'Of course. It just had to be trolls didn't it' I thought to myself.