1. The Call of the Sea

Portsmouth – Thursday, 12th November 1676

I stared seaward, lulled by the lap of waves against the wharf and the salty tang of the stiff breeze. I ought to have been mourning, but no tears remained. Nothing remains. Not here.

The pop of another sail filling snapped my attention back, and I watched more canvas being hoisted and sheeted in, pulling the ship more quickly away. Away to where?

I caught myself dreaming again, God knows for how long this time. Long enough for the ship to have sailed well out into the Solent. With a deep sigh, I turned toward home.

Home? A house, an empty house.

I retraced my steps past the ships along the wharf, slowing to scan again the notes and placards tacked to the warehouse doors. All the opportunities – for men. Then a new note, writ large and bold, caught my eye.

A surge of hope rose in my breast as I turned to read the name boards on the ships alongside

A surge of hope rose in my breast as I turned to read the name boards on the ships alongside. Zeelandia, carved and blacked in the stern board of a tan-hulled barque, the second ship along, caused my heart to race. A quick assessment convinced me, so I tore the paper from the warehouse door, and as fast as my skirts would allow, I scurried home to change and pack.

Be prepared this time. Show my readiness. My eagerness.

Near breathless from my race back to the waterfront, I sighed in relief at seeing the barque still there. An old woman, dressed in tatters, stood from her perch and hampered my way, begging. I gave her three farthings, yet she followed me still, likely hoping for more. As I stepped onto Zeelandia's gangplank, she mumbled toothless words, "This ship be cursed, lad; ye'll no return."

"Oh, an exciting adventure, then," I scoffed to the hag and continued aboard, accosted at the bulwarks by a tall, barrel-chested sailor.

"Avast there, lad. Who be you?"

"The cabin boy."

"No, you ain't. We's got none now."

"A placard over there calls for one." I tilted my head toward the posted papers and lifted my burlap bundle. "And I offer my services. All packed and ready to sail."