¹⁶

CAMILLE J.

I remember everything from that day

I remember everything from that day. I remember the pain I felt in my chest. It felt like someone had put a burning hot, sharpened coin in my chest. I remember hearing screaming and my body hitting the ground. After that, though, nothing. I've been trapped in darkness for what felt like days.

The only reason I'm awake is because I hear this constant beeping, which started off being kind of relaxing, but after a while, it became annoying. Plus, I have people to go see and work to do. But, assuming my job has heard about this already, I'm off.

I open my eyes slowly, and it felt like there were bricks on my eyelids. I groan, my voice feeling like I haven't had anything to drink. I cleared my throat, stretching my fingers out first, then my arms. A few of the nurses rushed in and smiled, which kind of creeped me out.

"Ms. Johnson, I'm so glad you're finally awake. We're glad to have you back in the land of the living. We have water and food coming up any second", she said quickly, and it took me a minute to process what she said.

"U-Uh, how many days have I been out?", I ask her, and she looks at me like I told her to go sniff some baby powder.

"Ma'am, you've been out of it for almost three months now. People have been coming in to see you everyday", she tells me, and I gasp.

"Three months?! I've been asleep for three damn months?! How? Why? When? It hasn't felt like three months. It felt like three days", I rush out, and she chuckles.

"Time feels like it's moving differently when you are in a deep sleep. It's okay, though. Your job has been going half on your bills, then your sister has been going the other half. Plus your insurance came in clutch", she explains, and I sigh.

Well, that's something I don't have to worry about for now. I run a hand through my hair and feel that it's braided.

"Your sister did that. She said you don't like a lot of people touching your hair. Anyway, we have pepperoni pizza, pineapples, strawberrys, and a large glass of water for you", she said, and another nurse comes in with a tray of food.

"Thank you, you angels. I'm hungry", I laugh as I drink the water first. They chuckled.

"Should I alert your family that you're awake?", the first nurse asked, and I shake my head.

"If what you said is true, then someone should be coming soon. Uhm, do you think it's okay for me to call someone?", I ask, and they nod.

She hands me her cell phone and I call Stacy, who started screaming and crying.

"Mill, I thought you weren't waking up. I was so scared for you", Stacy sniffled, causing me to feel bad.