𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐲𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐩𝐭.𝟐

"That's weird. I don't see him," Mike points out as we all put our bikes on the rack. "I'm telling you, his mom's right. He probably just went to class early again." Lucas reassures, "Yeah, he's always paranoid Gursky's gonna give him another pop quiz," Dustin exclaims before Troy and his annoying friends come over to us. "Step right up and get your tickets for the freak show. Who do you think would make more money in a freak show? Midnight, Frog face, toothless, or..." Troy saves me for last, "or the whore," he punches me on my arm instead of my chest. "I'd go with toothless," James mimicks Dustin. "I told you a million times, my teeth are coming in. It's called cleidocranial dysplasia." Dustin sighs. "I told you a million times," James continues.

"Do the arm thing," Troy demands, "Do it, freak!" James follows. Dustin takes off his jacket before sticking his arms out in front of him, making his bones crack. The two groan, "God, it gets me every time," Troy groans as the two shove past us. "Assholes," Lucas exclaims. "Hey, y/n," Mike says. "Yeah," I reply gloomily, low key upset by what Troy called me. "your not a whore, they've got it all wrong," Mike comforts me. "thanks, Mike," I say, trying my best to sound unbothered.

time skip

"Remember, finish chapter 12 and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation. This will be on the test, which will cover chapters 10 through 12. It will be a multiple choice with an essay section." Mr. Clarke sighs as all the students, except Mike, Lucas, Dustin, and I clear out of the classroom.

"So, did it come?" mike asks as we walk to his desk. "Sorry, kids. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... it came." Mr. Clarke exclaims.

We walk to the AV room. "Yes." Mike squeaks as he sits in the chair, "The Heathkit ham shack. Ain't she a beaut?" Mr. Clarke says proudly, "I bet you can talk to New York on this thing." Dustin gushed. "Think bigger," Mr. Clarke replies. "California?" I ask. "Bigger," he responds. "Australia?" Mike asks in disbelief as Mr. Clarke nods. "When Will sees this, he's totally gonna blow his shit," Lucas added. "Lucas." Mr. Clarke barked. "Sorry." Lucas croaked.

"Hello, this is Mike Wheeler, president of Hawkins Middle AV Club," Mike speaks into the radio with an Australian accent, I take the headset off of his head and talk into it. "Hello, this is Y/n Harrington, assistant to the president of Hawkins Middle AV Club. Question, do you eat kangaroos for breakfast?" I joke as Lucas takes the headset off my head. Just as Lucas was about to speak, the principle and chief of police knock on the already open door. "Sorry to interrupt, but, uh, may I borrow Michael, Y/n, Lucas, and Dustin?

time skip

The policeman asked us what road Will takes to get home, everyone except me was talking. I really wasn't much of a talker at school or anywhere that I wasn't alone with my friends. At home, I'm always told to shut up, or that my voice isn't valued, I guess I carry that thought around with me all the time. "Okay, okay, okay. One at a time, all right? You. You said he takes what?" The man points to Mike. "Mirkwood," Mike replies. "Mirkwood?" the man questions. "Yeah," Mike nods. "Have you ever heard of Mirkwood?" the man asks the police officer sitting next to him. "I have not. That sounds made up to me," the other officer replies. "No, it's from Lord of the Rings." Lucas exclaims, "Well, The Hobbit," I mumble under my breath but loud enough for Lucas to hear, considering he was sitting right next to me. "It doesn't matter," Lucas retorts. "He asked!" Dustin defends me, "He asked!" Lucas mocks him. "Shut up, guys!" Mike exclaims, sick of the constant bickering.

"Hey, hey, hey. What'd I just say? One at a damn time. You." The policeman named Hopper calls out to Mike. "Mirkwood, it's a real road. It's just the name that's made up. It's where Cornwallis and Kerely meet." Mike explains. "Yeah, all right, I think I know that--" Hopper says to his friend. "-We can show you if you want," Mike suggests. "I said that I know it!" Hopper groans. "We can help look," Mike exclaims, "Yeah," Dustin follows. "No," Hopper replies simply, "No. After school, you are all to go home. Immediately. That means no biking around looking for your friend, no investigating, no nonsense. This isn't some Lord of the Rings book."

"The Hobbit," Dustin interrupts. "Shut up!" Lucas exclaims, leaning across Mike and me to slap Dustin. Dustin hits back, and soon the two were hitting each other of us. "Do I make myself clear? Do I make myself... clear?" Hopper asks intimidatingly as he walks over and hovers over us. I nod, wanting so bad to leave. "Yes, sir," the boys nod.

time skip

I went over to Mike's for dinner as usual.

"We should be out there right now. We should be helping look for him." Mike explains. "We've been over this, Mike. The chief says --"

"I don't care what the chief said." Mike interrupts. "Michael! We're lucky enough that is was only Will. Thankfully Y/n is safe. Let's keep it that way." Mrs. wheeler exclaims. "We have to do something. Will can be in danger." Mike says, ignoring his mom's previous statement. "More the reason to stay put." Mrs. Wheeler sighs. "Mom!" Mike shouts. "End of discussion," Mrs. Wheeler says.

Nancy had asked to go hang out with a friend, I tuned out the conversation until Mike started to speak. "Wait, this is Will's fault?" he asked. "Nancy, take that back." Mrs. Wheeler demanded. "no!" nancy scoffs. "You're just pissed off 'cause you wanna hang out with Steve." Mike retorts, earning a glare from Nancy. "Steve?" Mr. Wheeler asks. "Steve as in y/n's brother, Steve?" Mrs. Wheeler repeats. I shuffle around awkwardly in my chair. "Her new boyfriend," Mike replies. "You are such a douchebag, Mike!" nancy shouts before she storms out of the kitchen, Mrs. Wheeler calling after her. "You see, Michael? You see, what happens?" Mr. Wheeler starts. "What happens when what? Y/n and I are the only ones acting normal here! We're the only ones that care about Will!" Mike shouts, "That is really unfair, son. We care," Mr. Wheeler follows. Mike opens his mouth to say something but instead grabs my hand and drags me away with him.

In Mike's basement, Mike turned on his Walky talky and began trying to contact Lucas. "Lucas, do you copy? It's Mike. Lucas?" Mike talks into the device. I walk away, trying to calm myself down. I've tried my whole life to not be associated with my brother, but all my efforts went to waste tonight. I could vaguely hear Lucas say, "Meet me in ten. Over and out." I groan, knowing we're gonna go search for Will.

time skip

I hopped onto the back of Mike's bike, tightly gripping onto his waist as we snuck out. We hear thumping, and I look to my right and see someone trying to climb the side of the house, they turn to face us, and I see steve. "Wait a second, will you?" I ask as more of a demand as I hop off and run over to my brother. "Steve?" I ask, "Yeah, it's me. Can't you see I'm a little busy right now?" He asks, gesturing to him climbing. I scoff before running back to Mike.

"Ah, man. This is it," Lucas exclaims as we pull up to a blocked off area. "Hey, guys. You feel that?" Dustin asks, "Yeah, I think maybe we should go back," I add. "No. We're not going back. Just stay close to me. Come on," Mike orders as I cling to him for dear life. "Just stay on channel six. Don't do anything stupid." He continues. We waited for Dustin before continuing our search.

mini time skip

"Will! Will!" Mike shouts, "Byers!" I continue. "I've got your X-Men 134! Guys, I really think we should turn back." Dustin suggests. "Seriously, Dustin? You wanna be a baby, then go home already!" Lucas exclaims, "I'm just being realistic, Lucas!" Dustin shouts. "No, you're just being a big sissy!" Lucas retorts. "Do you ever think Will went missing because he ran into something bad? And we're going to the exact same spot where he was last seen? And we have no weapons or anything?" I reason. "Y/n, shut up." Mike sneered. "She's right, does that seem smart to you?" Dustin backs me up. "Shut up. Shut up. Did you guys hear that?" Mike exclaims. But he was right. As soon as everyone got quiet, I could hear rustling. Our flashlights land on a girl with an oversized shirt and a shaved head. She was staring right at Mike, and Mike was staring back.