Chapter One: What Happened?

Chapter One... What Happened?

"Lucy?" mom called, nudging me slightly. "Luce? Lucy?!"

"Huh?" I grumbled groggily.

"Lucy, get out of bed," mom sighed, chuckling slightly to herself. She had an annoying morning ritual of waking me up at 7am, and it had been something she did from when I was about three years old.

"Nope," I moaned.

"It's your eighteenth birthday, Lu," mom sighed. "Come on! Soon you'll be finished high school, and going off to college, and then I won't get to wake you up anymore. My baby girl."

I rolled my eyes slyly. Mom always used the "my baby girl" line on me whenever she really wanted me to do something. The only girl out of six I was... and the youngest! I suppose I could sort of understand why she was like this with me; my quadruplet brothers Kevin, Kyle, Kenny and Kane were all ten years older than me, and my other brother Simon was thirty, making him twelve years older than me. I really, and literally, was the baby in my family...

But mom was only fifty years old... My dad, however, was almost sixty!

I slowly and reluctantly dragged myself out of bed. Mom kissed me on the cheek and whispered "happy birthday princess" in my ear as I sat up. I hated being a spring baby, but I only had a few weeks of high school left, and nothing stood in my way of graduating. I wasn't exactly a model student, however...

Intelligence I had, yes. The ability to apply myself and actually show interest? Nope, I didn't have that. I always excelled at exams and assignments, but couldn't commit to any work in class, and therefore was a teacher's worst nightmare. My friends and I would constantly skip school, or classes, and go shopping or smoke behind the bleachers. Something I wasn't really into was smoking... Most of the time my friends would bust out their cigarettes and I would simply sit there, listening to the potentially time-wasting gossip that filled our senior class.

As I dawdled downstairs to the kitchen, I found a mountain of presents stacked neatly on the dining room table. It made me feel so happy to see all these presents... I hated to admit it, but I loved getting gifts. I could be slightly greedy, and I knew one day that it would come back to bite me in the ass. I didn't bother to change my attitude about it, though. See, as well as greedy, I was incredibly stubborn.

"Happy birthday, my little angel!" dad shouted, entering the room.

"Aww, thankyou, daddy!" I squealed like a five-year old.

"Time to open your presents, princess," he grinned, opening his arms wide for my overly-enthusiastic hug. He kissed my cheek and I quickly grabbed the first present in reach of my pale hand.

My parents bought me anything I wanted, and today was no exception. Necklaces, bracelets, perfume, an expensive gold ring, a brand new laptop (I already owned one) a new cell phone, new shoes, clothes... even some cash!

I was a little spoiled...

It didn't really help my greediness, and my parents never said no. I was surprised when my dad took me outside and unveiled a brand new Volkswagon Beetle sitting in the driveway. It was a candy blue, and I squealed excitedly.

"Oh, my God!" I shreiked. "A new car?!"

"All yours, possum," dad grinned from ear to ear.

"AAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!" I squealed. "Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!"

I hurried to get ready so I could drive my shiny new car to school. It was quite possibly the best gift I could have ever been given. I dressed in my new clothes, put on my new shoes, donned my new jewellery, and made sure I smelt like my new perfume.

I really was the greediest young girl I knew. If only I could admit it...

I kissed my parents goodbye and drove off in my new car. I was blasting some awesome tunes when I went around the corners, perhaps a little too fast. But I had faith in my new car. I knew it could handle them.

Deciding to go and pick up my best friend Amanda, since I was early, I drove down a familiar but not often used piece of country road. I drove down the road at a high speed, not particularly caring too much about it. My car would like my lead foot I thought.

But suddenly, out of nowhere, a car was on MY side of the road... And it wasn't swerving away. Panicking, I moved my foot to the break and took a hard left. I could feel myself losing control of my brand new car, and tears were unable to seep through my terrified eyes as I clutched onto the steering wheel, trying to avoid running off the road. My car was so clean, and I didn't want to dirty it too much.

Everything moved in slow motion... the car I had avoided passed me, and I knew I was no longer on the road. I looked ahead, and realised that a dirty car was the least of my worries. Nature stood in my way in the form of a large tree.

As my car got closer to the tree, I closed my eyes, and suddenly everything went black.