Chapter 47

#CTG47 Chapter 47

My whole body was shaking from the conversation I just had with Jax. Pinilit kong huminga nang maayos. He's already panicking and I couldn't panic, too. One of us has to be level headed. One of us has to see the bigger picture. And he couldn't be that.

If it's Katherine related, Jax is far from level headed.

I took a quick shower and changed into formal clothes. I didn't know what Jax meant or what he needed from me, but I figured we'd go to Katherine... o kung anuman ang kailangan niya sa akin. If the Ramirez kid was involved, then this was going to be a huge case. The press was invested in that family—from election news to rape cases to murder cases and now, parricide.

That family...

God, I thought it was dangerous for Katherine when she decided to marry in that family, but I never actually thought this would be the trouble she'd get in.

Nang maka-labas ako ay nagulat ako pagkakita ko kay Iñigo. He was sitting on the sofa and there was a stick of cigarette in his hand and an almost empty pack beside him.

"Don't smoke," I said.

Agad siyang napa-tingin sa akin. His eyes looked different. Even his breathing felt different.

"Hey," he said, still holding the stick of cigarette in his hand. "Maaga pa, ah. Saan ka pupunta?"

I looked at him as I pressed my lips together. I couldn't tell him where I was going. He's working for the Office of the Prosecutor... I didn't want to put him in an impossible situation.

God, please don't let him be the prosecutor. Wala akong pakielam kahit sino basta lang 'wag siya. I really wish that he'd just focus on the Carson case because that was also a high-profile case. He didn't need to be involved in this one.

"Jax," I simply said, still not wanting to lie. "And please, stop with the cigarette."

But he didn't listen. Instead, he blew on the cigarette again.

"Wag ka ngang manigarilyo sa harap ko," I angrily said.

"Tapusin ko lang 'to," sagot niya habang sinusuklay iyong buhok niya gamit ang mga daliri niya. "Please?" he asked. "I... just really need this one, Cha."

Huminga ako nang malalim.

"You can't smoke in front of me," I said, looking directly into his eyes. "Iñigo, I'm pregnant."

I saw how the stick fell from his hand and on to the sofa. I thought he was going to pick it up, but he seemed... stupefied. Mabilis akong naglakad at kinuha iyon para itapon. I opened the windows to let the smoke out.

I looked at Iñigo who was still trying to process everything. This shouldn't be a complete shock to him... We weren't actively trying to have a kid, but we're also not completely not trying. We just didn't have the courage to consciously decide on having a baby because that meant putting a stall in our career—dahil aminin man namin o hindi, I'd have to take a back seat if I get pregnant.

And I wasn't too excited about that.

I love my job. I love working. I love solving cases. I love finding loopholes. I love everything about my work.

So every time he'd win a case, we'd have unprotected sex...

Para kapag nabuntis, then that's the universe telling us it's go time.

And he's been winning a lot of cases lately... kaya bakit parang gulat na gulat siya?

"Iñigo," I said when seconds passed and I still didn't hear anything from him. "I really hope there's a better opportunity so we can fully discuss this, pero may kailangan talaga akong puntahan. I'll just see you later, okay?"