Chapter 7 - I Like These

"Geralt, I meant what I said about wanting to stay with you." I say closing the distance between the two of us. "I really, really, really want too." Tears sting my eyes as my heart starts to clench in my chest.

"Come with me." Geralt says as he leads me from the castle to a nearby inn, he had a room at.

After leading me up to his room and closing the door behind us he motions for me to sit on the bed as he pulls his jacket off. I sit watching as he tosses the jacket onto a nearby table. Pulling my hands into my lap I start fiddling with my fingers as I wait for him to speak. What was he going to say? I knew he was mad and a little upset.

"Geralt," I start.

"Hm." He hums in reply.

"I know you're angry."

"Hm."

"I just... I don't know what to do." I breathe out as I look down at my hands.

"What do you want to do?" He asks his back still to me.

"Does what I want really matter?" I ask causing him to turn toward me his eyes narrowed.

"Why wouldn't it?" He asks and I let out a heavy sigh.

"No matter what I choose," I pause tears stinging my eyes. "I'll end up hurting someone I care about."

Geralt lets out a huff of air as he moves over to kneel in front of me with a wet cloth in his hand I hadn't noticed before. Reaching up, he grips my chin and turns my head slightly so he can look at the cut on my cheek that I had forgotten about. He says nothing as he lifts the cloth to my face and starts to clean the dried blood from my face. I wince occasionally as he wipes over my cut.

"You were reckless." He says finally his eyes focused on my cheek.

"I did what I had to do. You would have done the same." I say and he nods.

"But I heal faster than you do."

"That doesn't mean shit and you know it. If you have seen my world and my work you know I act first and think later when people are in trouble."

"I know." He smirks.

"If I can help, then I do." I conclude making him nod.

"Thankfully, that cut isn't deep." He says as he stands back up and tosses the rag onto the table.

"Thank you," I say as I reach up to gently touch my cheek, my fingertips brushing over the cut.

Geralt moves away from me as he reaches up to pull his shirt over his head revealing his scar covered body. I stare uncontrollably as I remember how he got most of them. My body moves on its own as I stand up and closing the distance between us reach out to touch one of his scars. His body tenses under my touch as he freezes in his steps.

"I remember these. I remember this one was from a rather racy night with a Bruxa," I say as I run my finger over the scar. I move my fingers to another as I continue, "This one you got saving a young girl from a werewolf. And this one..." I pause as he instantly turns around to face me his eyes dark with longing. My heart starts to race in my chest.

"You saw me?" He asks and I know exactly what he is referring too.

"I always see you, even when I don't want too." I answer looking down at my hands. "I've seen almost all the women you've been with since I was seventeen." Tears sting my eyes as I try to choke back sobs. "Do you know how hard it was for me to see you with them?" I pause as I look up into his eyes. "I'm not trying to make you feel bad or hurt you, because that is not my intention."