15: Sam And His Dorky Smile

"That was insane." My jaw dropped. Who knew that football could be so interesting? As far as I was concerned, it was boring and too complicated to keep my attention. Even though I really didn't know most of the rules and everyone around us was constantly screaming, I still found it to be fun.

Millie hooked her arm through mine and laughed. "See? That's what I've been trying to tell you. Our team is hella good, which makes it way more entertaining."

"Yeah, but the other team was better. They won." I pointed out. Most people on our side of the field were still cheering, but only in the way that good sports did.

"So what? Our team has already gotten further than anyone thought they would. The fact that their season lasted this long is an accomplishment enough." Her hair was pulled back into a half-up ponytail, and with each small gust of wind, it lifted upwards like an otherworldly ghost.

When we first arrived, Millie immediately questioned why I was wearing Sam's sweatshirt again. I told her the lie Sam concocted, and she just laughed at how ridiculous we were. For once I felt like she might have actually believed my lie, which was a small relief that I gladly took.

As for the football game, it was stressful but enjoyable to watch. Our team lost, but only barely. When they first came out onto the field, everyone around us burst into screams and chants. I was probably deaf after it.

But watching Sam out there made it worth it. He kicked ass. The most consistent thing about Sam was his drive to do his best in every way, even when it came to making me angry. Which was probably a flaw just as much as it was a strength.

Through most of the game, Millie and I talked. We also ate too much food for our own good. Either way, I had a lot more fun than ever thought I would. Too bad it was the last football game of my senior year.

The both of us stood with the rest of the crowd. Then we began down the stairs closest to the end of the bleachers. Due to that, we were able to overhear a conversation that was most definitely not meant for us.

It was Jocelyn and her best friend again, both dressed in their cheerleading costumes and stood on the ground beside the bleachers. What was the other girl's name again? Millie told me the last time that we witnessed one of their weird interactions, but I was so awful at remembering the names of people I didn't commonly interact with. That extended to celebrities as well.

"What the hell has been your problem recently?" She was saying to Jocelyn, who seemed way more lost and confused than I ever saw before. That was the second time I noticed her with any expression other than pure mal-intent.

"It's just a joke. Why are you taking everything so seriously?" Jocelyn replied, her words strained.

I glanced at Millie, who glanced at me. There wasn't anyone trying to walk down the steps behind us, so we just stood there and listened. It wasn't our place to be a part of that conversation, but we were both nosy. And it was not the sort of thing we expected to hear from a girl like Jocelyn. Why wasn't she searching for Sam instead?

That was when it occurred to me that I never asked Sam about her. What was their relationship? Were they ever together? The idea of that irked me. But Sam didn't belong to me. We were only testing out a trial period, I had no right to dictate who he surrounded himself in.

So why did the idea of him with someone else bother me so much?

"Because you've been weird recently and I'm sick of it." Her words were harsh. I cringed from my spot above them, and Millie did the same.

"I'm not acting weird, you're just suddenly irked by everything I fucking do." I was starting to get worried that they were going to begin physically fighting or something. Jocelyn struck me as the type who could probably slap very well. The other one didn't, but who knew.