Lament for Ben Solo

All that we love deeply becomes a part of us. The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief – But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love. Whenever we lose a loved one, we resolve, inevitably, to never forget, to remember that dear person for all our living days.

Rey Solo was meditating in a small personal chapel she has built in Ben's memory. Surrounded by burning incense, she immersed herself in the healing warmth of the Cosmic Force.

"Rey," a whisper emerged in her head. She could see glowing figures of Ben Solo and Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker in their Jedi clothing standing right in front of her. She reached out and her hand went right through Ben's body. "Rey, I love you. Do not forsake me," She could feel Ben's Force-spirit reaching out to her, caressing her, making her feel at peace. She heard him saying "I am with you, my love! I will always be with you".

Years have passed since the events of the final conflict between the Rey, Ben, and her Sith grandfather Emperor Palpatine, and, yet, she remembered everything like it was yesterday. In the smoking ruins of Death Star II, she saw cackling Palpatine Force-push Ben into the abyss. "As once I fell," sneered the Emperor, "so falls the last Skywalker." Anger rose inside her. Palpatine smiled.

"Strike me down, child, and fulfill your destiny. Rule the Galaxy as the Empress you were born to be," he addressed Rey.

"I will never join you. You are an abomination," she screamed.

"Then die. I will rule the eternal empire forever," he sneered, sending waves of cracking Force-lightning in her direction.

Rey gripped Luke's and Anakin's lightsabers and rose determined to give it her best to destroy the cackling monster sitting on the throne in front of her. She advanced towards the throne pressing her attack, feeling the Force rising within her, deflecting the Force-lightning back. Her victory came at an enormous personal cost, yet she was glad that she did. But, alas, she was fading fast having expended most of her life-force. Suddenly, she felt Ben's presence as he held her tight and was pouring his life-force into Rey's body. She opened her eyes and a smile lit up his face. "You are going to be ok, my love," he whispered. They have made it. The two tortured souls were together at last, but, alas, Ben was overcome as he exhausted his resources. He sacrificed himself so that she and her unborn child shall live.

Rey emerged from her meditation, strong and determined. "I shall never forsake you, Ben. I will always be with you and she..." Rey stroked her pregnant belly. "She will be fine."