Seven

When Burgess and Atwater said they had found the car, they meant they had found the car with the driver shot dead in his seat, although a coffee cup with lipstick stains was left in the cup holder, after some more research  we'd found out thy at it was the guys wife, whom me and Jay were currently questioning.

"So you have no idea why your husband was shot dead in his car? The day you drive down to  Chicago?" Jay asked leaning against the window in the break room as I sat at the table opposite her.

"No! He was a good guy, he never hurt a soul." She told us wiping away a stray tear that had fallen. "I don't know what happened I swear. We drove down here and I went shopping, I don't know what he was doing." She told us looking up at Jay with pleading eyes.

"You believe her?" I asked spinning on my chair to face the break room where the widow, Clare, sat in the break room nursing a cup of coffee after we'd spoke to her.

"Not completely." He shrugged sitting on the edge of my desk, just as the gate leading to intelligence slammed shut and a pissed off looking Ruzek came up the stairs.

"What's up with you?" Erin asked as she looked up from her computer, probably jumped because of the gate slamming, I know I did.

"All this shooting shit, it was a good shoot why can't they just let me get back to work and forget about it." He mumbled slumping in his chair at his desk. "And don't get me started on the councillor business, waste of time, I'm fine." He said twirling a pen with his fingers as he leaned back.

"It's just protocol, finish the report and you'll be back in the field, simple really." Erin told him shrugging before getting up and heading into Voight's office, knocking and entering for a second before coming back out. "Where's Voight?" She asked confused.

"I thought he was in there, the blinds were down." I said just as confused, I didn't see him leave.

"I'm gunna go find him," She said grabbing her coat. "Finish the report Ruzek." She pointed at him before leaving.

"Yeah, yeah." He grumbled looking down at the papers in front of him for a second before continuing to write.

"Holy shit." I jumped as the phone on my desk started to ring, I placed a hand on my chest trying to get my breathing back to normal as Jay laughed and reached over picking up the phone.

"Officer Platt's desks how can I help?" He said still laughing slightly before he went serious. "Oh hey Sarge, yeah she's here, alright we're on our way." He said quickly before hanging up. "There's been a shooting, three more bodies all with our bullets." He told me walking over to his desk grabbing his coat.

"I'm coming." Adam said jumping up and grabbing his coat, not having a chance to put it on before I ruined his plans.

"Nope, you gotta stay here and finish your report before you can go back out on the field." I told him pointing down at his paperwork. "Plus someone's gotta keep an eye on her." I said motioning to the woman still sitting in the break room.

"See ya bud." Jay grinned patting him on the shoulder laughing as Adam sighed and flopped back in his chair.

——————

"What have we got?" I asked Dawson as me and Jay arrived at me the scene, I could already see two bodies lying on the ground.

"Three bodies, all shot with our bullets, all mid level gang bangers for the east side." He said as he walked us past the bodies and over to Voight, as we passed the third body I spotted a phone hanging out of his pocket.

"Hey, have you got a rag or a glove?" I asked nudging Jay while still looking at the phone, realising that I'd left mine in my desk.

Nodding his head he reached into his pocket and pulled out a pair of leather gloves, slipping my hands into both of them I crouched down and slowly pulled the phone out of the guys pocket. Pressing the lock button it unlocked straight away without needing a password, silly drug dealers, looking through the call history one familiar number popped up.