nineteen

dedicated to eluetheromania because she's the coolest/raddest/hottest lil fuck i know and if u don't check out her story, Outcasts i'll chop off ur nipples and stick them to ur eyelids

ALSO! sometimes imma do this thang where you guys comment and whoever's comment i like most gets the next dedication.

so, most heartfelt comment on this chapter gets the next dedication!! (if no one does this i'm gonna chop off my own nipples)

"So, Sunday?"

"Sunday." Lifting myself off the lawn that stretched out towards the school's steel gates, I dragged Jake up by his hands. The sun swallowed his eyes, making them look lighter than usual, and I smiled when he did, his lip ring also glinting.

"What if I can't last that long? A whole Saturday without annoying you," he said, his tone light and playful.

"You're welcome to climb through the window. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble in catching me in my underwear again," I grumbled sarcastically, trying to mask the grin that played at my mouth.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "You were pretty hot, though."

"God!" I shoved on his chest, only earning him to rock back the tiniest bit. Letting go of the fact that I used His name in vain, I swiveled around and proceeded to my bus ride home. 

"Sunday!" he reminded, calling after me.

I stuck my hand up, waving a goodbye without turning around.

Seating myself down on the rough seats of the bus, I sneaked a peek out the tinted window.

Finding Jake leaning against a tall oak tree, his eyes were on the ground, a faint smile lingering on his lips. As he shrunk out of sight, I asked myself what thought could be so blissful that it had the power to carve itself into his skin.

“Jake is such a pleasant boy,” mother remarked for what felt like the tenth time that afternoon. I stabbed a piece of broccoli, scraping the fork across my plate.

Mom.

“It's mother to you.”

I sighed, and then tried to force a polite tone so I wouldn't cause any more trouble with her. “Mother, I know. You've said that he's lovely, and wonderful, and intelligent, and all that already.”

“He's applied for a well-paying job before finishing school, how independent! I won't be surprised if he gets the job.”

I thought back to seeing the cigarette smoke unfurling from his mouth as he informed me of his drug dealing business. If only she knew.

After I didn't reply, she said boldly, “You know what I think? I think that I like him better than you, Tahli. I don't mean to be rude, but I like him better as a person. I like his attitude towards things.” She didn't look at all ashamed, like it was a typical conversation.

“Wow. Thanks,” I muttered under my breath. I didn't raise myself.

Pushing myself out from the kitchen table, I brought my leftovers to the sink and began treading my way up the stairs.

"Oh, could you bring down the laundry basket from your room?" mother shouted. I rolled my eyes up to the ceiling before replying with an agreement.

Entering my already opened room, I walked straight over to the empty basket and took it into my arms.

"So she likes me more, huh?"

Shrieking in surprise, the basket tumbled out of my arms as I spun around to the voice that wasn't supposed to be there.