two

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒chapter two: death, yet the force┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒
chapter two:
death, yet the force
┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

THE TUSKEN OASIS lived up to its name, presenting a haven of lavishness amidst the criminal desert of the Crimson Corridor. The big room was adorned by a luxurious wall frieze made up of splendid statues of beasts from various galactic mythologies. The space was immersed in darkness but for photonic crystal fixtures that painted the whole club in various colors that changed in a gentle segue. Now it was a soft violet, setting an eerily intimate atmosphere that the patrons of the esteemed establishment didn't much mind. A quartet of Bith musicians were playing something lively in the corner.

Elysar could almost forget she was in the lowest levels of the city, but even the luxuriousness of the club couldn't hide its clientele. She spotted nearly a dozen armed bodyguards accompanying their gambling employers and other patrons who carried their own weapons, ready for a brawl to break out.

"It's charming in here," Elysar commented as she and Obi-Wan moved towards the bar followed by curious glances.

"Wait till you try their signature Ardees," the Padawan quipped.

Elysar let her eyes carefully wander around the room from under the cowl, taking immediate notice of a pair of Rodians sitting at the back tables, their snouts quivering with disgust at the sight of the unwelcome guests. There was no doubt they were Black Sun Enforcers, judging by the dark, leathery attires.

The species behind the bar-stand Elysar couldn't recognize. The creature had no neck but made up for it with a few extra pairs of arms. Two were busy mixing up an elaborate drink, one was typing something into the datapad, and the other two, Elysar noticed, swiftly dropped below the level of the bar as the two Jedi approached. She saw Obi-Wan's eyes register the movement. One didn't have to be a Masters to see what was hiding down there.

Obi-Wan slid back the cowl covering his face and Elysar did the same after some hesitation.

"Whar' ya wan'?" The creature croaked with something that would probably resemble a scowl on a human face.

"We're looking for some information," Obi-Wan told him.

"Don' hav'ny," the bartender grumbled.

Elysar's eyes followed a third arm sneaking down under the bar to join the other two. The tension was almost palpable at this point, and she could sense the other patrons starting to pay attention, especially the Rodians who had been most displeased to see them. The Black Sun Enforcers were now flanking them on both sides, blasters in hand. Why weren't they attacking them?

It was as if the club stilled. Everything happened so incredibly fast and yet almost in slow motion: Elysar noticed the bartender's four beady eyes glance at the two crystals installed in the bar's surface as an elaborate touch to its lush design. One was green and the other red, and it was glowing. Ever so slowly, the red crystal winked out.