Part 12 HUMAN

I wanted to go outside and breathe some fresh air, for the place had an impression of a sepulcher. Only a tiny cut on my finger, I got when collecting the pieces of the broken cup, reminded me about a folk creature in my kitchen.

My face was still red, swollen, and hot. I washed it in the sink, watching the lukewarm water recklessly running through my fingers.

If not the morning events, I would probably call upon Sylvester. He and I were the only singletons among our friends that made us more available for each other to meet quite often, while the rest of our school and uni squad were either in serious relations, married or simply tired after a bunch of really adult responsibilities thus prefer the company of cat, bed and Netflix. Surely, there was a high chance Sylvester wasn't alone, chilling with one of his numerous girlfriends, usually sexy ladies with long hair, duck lips, and glowing makeup. Chose a trending photo of beautiful young women on any popular social media, and you'll get an average portrait of Syl's date (that was a real magic!). Going to my parents was not, by all means, an option too.

The dull walls of the apartment are oppressing me now. If I stay here longer, I will start suffocating, no doubt. Feeling the consequences of restless night of self-confessions, morning adventures, and kitchen craziness, I sluggishly put on my short puff coat, as the warm denim jacket seems to be drenched till kingdom comes. My glasses are not seen anywhere; I must have left in one of the offices I have recently visited. But that is fine: it's not so gloomy outside, and I can see almost perfect during the daytime.

I bitterly laugh at my own reflection: in a winter coat I look like a cabbage that somebody placed on two thin sticks. "And that's the person who cannot imagine her best friend with hot girls, considering him too nerdy. The only lackluster mouse in da house is you." I touch my shoulder-length hair that, ironically, resembles the fur colour of little field mice I fed. "No wonder she left you," I poignantly informed the reflection and angrily slam the door.

I need some coffee and a cheesecake to please my soul and stomach. I was about to go to the nearest coffeehouse out of habit when realize it is the one where Doris works. I turn abruptly and head to the historic city center where one can find lots of pretty cafes and restaurants. It is a weird feeling to go there alone or not to have someone who is waiting for me there. Though, the idea is great. I can lose myself in a crowd of tourists and locals, to become a part of the human mass without being noticed. Besides, I can relax while going some window-shopping.

But no sooner I reached the place, when heard a telephone call. The ID of the caller is unknown: and it's not so surprising, I have sent tons of CV emails to different companies, and now I'm constantly receiving similar calls.

"Hello, I'm listening!" I said, pretending to be interested in the conversation.

"Good day! My name is pshhhhh and I represent a company which khrrshhh. We found your CV very interesting and want to agree on a date for your interview," said a woman's voice.

I can't hear her distinctly because of some interferences, but my stupid meekness prevents me from asking to repeat her name and the name of the company.

"That'll be great. What time is convenient for you?" I ask her, suppressing my sigh of dissatisfaction. To return to reality after something unbearably fantastic is like a torturous tide wave of depression. "I did everything wrong, and she left me. Now go to your bloody interview; that's all you have!" I despise the painful flashbacks in my head.

"What about in half an hour? Our office is in the old city."

"In half an hour? I'm sorry, I'm already out and not properly dressed for the interview," I was stunned how soon they want to see me. The conversation is suspicious, and something indefinable creates uneasiness.