Ch. 34 - Birthday Part One

TODAY IS THE DAY

TODAY IS THE DAY. Today is January 16. The day I was born seventeen years ago.

I have been looking at my ceiling for the past ten minutes. I really didn't want to get up today. It might be Friday, but it feels like a Monday.

When I finally rolled out of bed, I had ten minutes to get ready. I walked to my closet to pick out an outfit. I chose a black bra, a dark green long sleeve shirt with Nike on it, and a pair of light washed blue jeans with rips at the knees. After I changed into that outfit, I matched it with my brown Uggs.

I pulled my hair into a french braid, and I sprayed some perfume on me. I would put on accessories, but I misplaced my jewelry box that belonged to my mother. I'm pretty sure it's in my bathroom, but I'm too exhausted to look.

I grabbed my phone and my bag before heading downstairs. It was really quiet, which is weird because everybody is usually running back and forth to get ready.

"Hello? Guys?" I asked while walking down the stairs.

Nobody was in the living room, and I looked out the window to see everybody's car parked in the driveway. Then I walked into the kitchen where I heard everybody cheer, "Happy Birthday!"

Everybody was here, and they all had smiles on their faces. The girls came over to me, and they hugged me.

"Happy birthday, girl," Madison said.

"How did y'all know?" I asked, looking at Ross and Lisa.

"Rachel called us earlier this week that today is your birthday," Lisa said before hugging me.

"Thank you," I replied.

Brent came to my side, and he kissed me on my cheek. "Happy birthday, princess."

I gave him a side smile, and Micheal hugged me.

"Come on, come open your present," he said, dragging me to the dining room table.

"Present?" I asked, looking back at the group.

"Go ahead, open it," Ross said, handing my a bag.

I pulled the purple tissue paper out of it, and I pulled out a black box. It wasn't just any black box. It was mine. I gaped at it, and I opened it.

The inside of it was fixed, but it looked better than it did before I broke it. The little mirror wasn't broken no more, and the black velvet was nice and soft instead of crispy.

"You wanted it fixed, but you never had time," Nick said behind me.

Tears gathered in my eyes, but I didn't let them fall. I held the jewelry box tightly against my chest.

"Thank you guys," I thanked them.

"No problem, Cam," Gavin said.

"And that's not all. Tonight after the lacrosse game, we are going clubbing" Madison exclaimed, making my eyes widen.