Chapter 19: The Fate that Awaits the Poor

"...while we are not blessed with fortune, we can pave our own ways to success. The powerful may mock us, the rich reject us, but we can make our voices heard."

The students nodded and clapped, muffling the sounds, but their smiles spoke volumes. Mina smiled back, blushing to the root of her hair. Everyone was listening; all of their eyes were on her. She shuffled back to her seat, squeezing between Vexi and a boy about her age. A few minutes later, they were dismissed.

"Nice reading," said Vexi. Mina folded her prompt neatly and tucked it into a pocket as the older girl fell into step beside her.

"It's an honour to be chosen to do the motivational speech," said Mina in a shy voice. A few of the other students turned at the next corner, heading to the kitchens to prepare lunch. "I can't believe Wyld and the others would choose me. I've only been here for two days."

"But you've done great work in two days. You're getting on so well with the others and all the healers have said great things about your work. I'm so proud of you."

"The leader said the same," said Mina, slowing down. Several students passed by, some nodding and some smiling at her. One of the girls, who had bleached blonde hair with green tips, pressed something into her hand before running off. Mina opened her fist. It was a sweet. "She said I'm a great asset to the team. She said great things are in store for me."

"That's very exciting, Mina. She doesn't say that to many people."

"I don't know what I can do, though. I'm worried I won't live up to what she expects. I don't even know what great things I'm supposedly capable of."

"You've been oppressed all your life," said Vexi with a gentle smile, touching her shoulder. The students trickled away until there was only the two of them left in the long, dimly-lit corridor. "You've always been overshadowed by overachievers and nobody gave you a second glance because you weren't stellar, but that won't be the case for much longer. The leader has plans for you. She'll make you stronger, just as she has with me, and once you're through with the initiation process, we'll take March City by the storm. We'll get what we've always deserved."

"Justice for everyone. Fair share of the credits."

Vexi nodded. "And more. Those who have wronged us will pay. Their statuses will mean nothing."

"Only the ones who have done wrong?" Mina said, anxious.

"Of course. We don't hurt the innocent. That'll make us as bad as them."

Mina felt a flutter of unease like when she'd first met the leader and the leader's half-crazed words, but Vexi's conviction and kindly demeanour erased the last of the doubt. Vexi squeezed her hand, her eyes twinkling. Her side ponytail swished as she saw Mina to the infirmary.

"I won't keep you long, Mina. The healers need you, but there will be a meeting tonight and it'll be interesting if you came."

"Oh?" Mina said, not without a trace of excitement. It sounded important. She knew she could contribute very little but it would be a great opportunity to see how the older ones worked in this organisation and what future plans they had in store. Perhaps if she knew more, she could better persuade Ari to join the good cause. "I'd love to come."

"Great. I'll come get you at about six then. Work hard!"

Mina nodded and smiled, waving to Vexi, who then disappeared round the next corner. She popped the sweet the two-toned girl had gifted her into her mouth. It was sweet, strawberry-like. Feeling the bubble of success rise in her chest, Mina grinned to herself and entered through one of the battered sliding doors to the infirmary.