Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

“This is a good restaurant,” Lake said. The lone candle on the table between us flickered in the draft caused by his breath and illuminated the golden glow in his skin, making him appear to shimmer a bit.

“Uh-huh.” I curled the end of my menu around my finger and took a look around the room. We were the only patrons in the small restaurant inside an inn called The Sand Dollar. An older man had greeted us at the front door, but he had disappeared through a door that I assumed led to the kitchen. The bright blue tablecloths, white candles, and silk flowers gave the room a cozy feel.

I might have enjoyed it if I were there with anyone else.

“I sell most of my catches here,” Lake went on. “I can personally attest to the freshness of the oysters.”

“I hate oysters,” I said. A light rain had begun to trickle down the window at my side, forming a curtain between me and a slick, empty world outside. Everyone else was probably at home, curled up on the couch and watching TV. Which sounded like a much better place to be than here with Lake and not having a thing to say to him.

“I recommend the lasagna,” Lake told me as he closed his menu. “Best dish they have. Four different cheeses. Delicious.”

“Uh-huh,” I said again. My eyes scanned over the menu, trying to find something to eat that wasn’t lasagna.

A night out had been Lake’s idea, but he’d sounded stiff and awkward when he offered the suggestion. After two days of avoiding each other since our fight at the beach, I had a feeling that the dinner wasn’t exactly his idea. Miss Gale had most likely put him up to it. Miss Gale probably had a hand in most things Lake did or did not do.

The door to the kitchen swung open and my heart did a flip flop. Josh walked our way, dressed in nice black pants and a bright blue shirt that matched the tablecloths. He looked so strange without his black hoodie, like a person I didn’t even know. He stumbled a bit when he saw us, but then he continued forward, retrieving a small notepad from his pocket.

“Welcome to The Sand Dollar,” he said. “I’m Josh, I’ll be your server.”

I looked up, waiting for him to glance at me, to show some kind of recognition that this wasn’t the first time we’d met. But he seemed to be purposefully avoiding meeting my eyes and stared at the candle instead.

“Hello, Josh,” Lake said, giving him a strained smile. “How is your mother?”

A muscle in Josh’s jaw twitched. “Fine, sir,” he said.

It hadn’t crossed my mind before now that Lake might know Josh, but of course he must. After all, as Lake had told me, it was a small island and the locals all knew each other. But the idea was too weird to consider.

“What can I get you to drink?” Josh asked, holding his notepad higher to block my gaze.

“Water for me,” Lake said.

“Me too,” I said.

Josh nodded. “Be right back.”

I watched the door swing back and forth behind him, making a soft swishing sound until it finally stopped. What was this game he played now, pretending he didn’t know me? Secretly talking to Sailor? I was sure Dylan didn’t know about Josh and Sailor having some kind of relationship. But if Josh was dating Sailor, why was he hiding out at Pirate’s Cove with me?

Had I gotten entirely the wrong signals from him this whole time?

Well, okay then. I could play this game too.