-Chapter 2- Averie: The Desert

Riiiing. My phone played Hotter Than Sin, that catchy rock tune is only reserved for.... OMG! Caleb's awake! I slid my finger on the screen and put it on speaker.

"Hey! Caleb babe!"

"Hi Love, how have you been?" his voice on the other line sounded hoarse, as if from misuse. But I just shrugged it off.

"Well, you know... here at work. I'm on break."

Ding! My BLT sandwich has finished in the microwave. It's a small expensive one from the office vending machine. Only three thin layers of bread with tomatoes, lettuce, a bit of bacon. It's like, it's been put there just to justify the name BLT. Thank the universe for cheese! Else, I would've chosen another. Too bad grilled cheese is out of stock.

As I opened the microwave to get my food, I heard Caleb stutter on the other line.

"My love... Averie... listen... I'm sorry... hibernation is..."

"I know, I know, Babe. I forgive you for forgetting who I was. It's only temporary." I chuckled in reply. He could remember his sister because they've been together for a long time. But for new bonds... "Really, it's okay, Caleb. I've been reading the Vampiric Tomes. I'm quite knowledgeable about vampires now."

I found this conversation weird. Caleb is usually the bubbly and talkative one. But he was just out of it. Hibernation has that serious effect, huh. Volume one of the Tomes only gave me the basics, there are five total. Five published, at least. The occult ones... hidden.

Caleb's hesitant voice pushed me out of my thoughts. "Averie, my love. Would you permit me to meet you tonight? Explain to me... what happened."

Blood splashed on my face. Unsure if it's Caleb's or mine. Caleb breathed heavily against my chest. His head resting on my shoulder. I can feel both our heartbeats. Frantic. Afraid. Both of us were covered in black and red ichor.

"My love, you there?" Caleb's concerned voice jolted me out of that memory. The horrible trauma from that experience wracked through me, making me shudder. But Caleb didn't need to know, for now. I composed myself, holding on to the kitchen counter for support.

"Yes, of course! I'm excited to see you again.", I just hoped my voice didn't shake, too. Trauma is not so easy to overcome. But it didn't change my feelings for Caleb. There are good and bad vampires, same as with humans. I hope Caleb's scars have healed.

"Then, see you at sundown, my love." And he hung up.

Sundown. It differs, actually. Most of the time, it's 9PM. Caleb is a spontaneous person. He goes to my house to pick me up then decides where we're going. So, I prepare my outfits in advance. Formal for Chez Llama. Party for Blue Velvet. Casual for a simple walk in the park. For this occasion though, I think he's staying at home. I gotta prepare an excellent Plasma Salad for him.

After Caleb's call, I moved to my office table. I'm at the office second-floor and it feels so homey. After recalling the trauma, I took a deep breath and observed the place to help me calm down.

Wooden floors and walls, fluorescent lights. Even this small round table is wood and it has small cactus as the centerpiece. Beyond it is a small brown sofa with the bookcase on the side. The coffee table in front of it is layered with scattered books. Quantum technology. Hybrid aliens. AI supercomputers. It's a disappointment they don't have Vampiric Tomes here. Isn't magic and science the same?

If reading is not an option. There's a treadmill on the other side. It's something not out in the market. That X-Trail 1000 has been tinkered to give you the optimum workout. Choose your setting: simple sprint to zero-grav marathon! All with blazing neon lights! The scientists here are awesome!

I'm still far to be called a scientist, though. I just started here at FutureSim Labs two months ago. This place is a state-of-the-art facility! Both a scientific and architectural wonder. I stare further and I marveled at the empty executive's office, all glass walls with wooden frame. The same rustic furnishings inside. Everything is visible through the huge full wall glass windows. And the vastness of the desert stretches out... miles and miles, with the occasional cactus or trees or flowers clustered together. Some abandoned water wells full of frogs or alien life forms. The bumps may look ordinary, but dig it up to reveal a meteorite, gem, or fossil. It's a geological treasure! A scientific heaven!

I love this place, the desert. I would've lived with Caleb in the nearby town called Oasis Springs. But he hates the sun.

I felt my digital watch vibrate, a message flashing on the screen.

VALLA, AVERIE: ONE HOUR BREAK OVER

Looks like I lost track of time, but it helped calm me down. I hurriedly ate my sandwich, striding through the gowning room as I did so. A mist disinfectant blew all over my body. I put on my light blue lab coat and inspected myself in the mirror. My wavy blonde hair is up in a ponytail. I hoped my blue eyes didn't show that I'm still emotional. Glancing at my skin, I couldn't help but smile. I'm getting all tanned up thanks to the desert sun. Then, shoving all thoughts aside, I headed to the labs downstairs.

And as the wooden floors changed to rubber-marble hybrid with my steps, I gawked at the various rooms before me. Each caters to a different lab department. It's now far from the homey pantry upstairs. On my right, the robotics lab. I can see the drone prototype they're tinkering through the glass-walls with steel frames. Beside it is the Plant Genetics room, with a big Cow Plant up for harvest.

A few steps more and I reached my destination, the Greenhouse. Just like the others, the wall is all glass, so as to let the sunshine in. There's the Plasma bush. I thought to myself as I approached it. The beautiful bush glowing pink every few seconds. I cut some branches and looked up ahead. The base of the rocket is visible from the window. Scientists are working on it, with scaffolding for support. And at the far side of the view, I could see the Life Genomes building. Pretty interesting stuff happening there. I once saw an alien body up for splicing. Creepy! I don't work there though.

Plant Genetics is my domain. I'm here cutting a Plasma plant sample because I'm studying its properties. Caleb and other vampires eat it to quench their thirst. It's weird because I once opened a fruit and found that it is like any other. The interior is all pink soft flesh with red swirls and seeds. No blood-like particles. Humans can eat it normally, like food. So, time for more research! I hoped the Vampiric Tomes would have the answers. But no, vampires are more concerned with magic than science. If it works, then it works. It doesn't even mention the origins of Plasma Fruit. But I know Caleb and his sister discovered it. So, here's to hoping this young bush will give me some insights.

Walking back to the lab, I saw my colleague and roommate from the Life Genomes department. "Hey, Taran!"

Taran halted to face me. She has green skin and her hair is in a dark blue bob cut. Her shiny obsidian eyes greeted me with a smile. I still can't believe I have an alien best friend! About a year ago, she traveled from Planet Sixam through the portal in the basement. She's been teaching us alien life and technology ever since.

"Hi, Averie! Want to go to Sim Pop Karaoke bar after work?" Taran said in her surreal and ephemeral voice.

"Sorry, I can't. Caleb has awoken and he wants details"

It must have been the expression on my face. Because, she suddenly looked sullen. "Ah! It's going to be a long night of talking. I'll be staying here in the lab for night shift so you can be alone with him. Though next time, I hope he fills me in on the fray. My alien legs can kick vampire ass, too."

I laughed at her try at humor. And I saw her smile in relief. With one final wave, I turned my back and headed towards my department.

Come 5PM, I said farewell to my colleagues. I hopped onto the first monorail to leave FutureSim Labs. I looked at the lone wide structure in the middle of the desert, all the while thinking of ways of how to tell Caleb the truth.