Part Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Jin reared back when Taehyung struck out in fear and turned pleadingly to the guard.

"Please...help...you...make...him...afraid. Please...talk...him...give...your...name...to him."

Mathan looked at the boys before him at a complete loss.

His first reaction was to be sarcastic but he knew that was not appropriate. His second reaction was to figure out a way around giving the boys his name. That made things too personal and nothing good could come from that. Personal opened the door to feelings and attachments and...shit Mathan didn't need.

Slowly holding up his hands, Mathan tried to find the words to say. He had never been good at comforting.

"My..." he tried. "That man...he will never touch you again. I swear it. I'm not him. I'm nothing like him. I just...I'm here to help you and...you need to be careful so..."

Mathan could see that the boy wasn't processing the English coming out of his mouth in his terror.

"Taehyung!" Mathan said instead, his voice firm, but calming, closing his eyes as he tried to remember all the formalities attached to the Korean language that his sister had tried to teach him. The last thing he wanted to do right now was offend. "My name is Mathan. And I am here to help you."

Mathan opened his eyes, looking at all three of the men, trying to gauge their responses to what had just transpired.

Namjoon snorted when the man revealed his name and sent a scowl towards Jin when the other gave the man a soft smile. He could not and would not trust this man, not with his life, and not with the lives of his beloved family.

"Jin hyung...mind Taehyung. If it will help him, then sing to him," Namjoon said as he jerked his head towards Taehyung.

Jin hadn't been able to stop the smile that crossed his lips when the man had revealed his name and he blushed a little when his leader had scolded him; but he couldn't help the sudden warmth he felt as the man made himself more human to them.

Taehyung had stopped thrashing around at thesound of the deep, calm voice that spoke. It was nothing like the hated onefrom his dreams and he felt himself relax as Jin took his hand and began tosing softly. Taehyung allowed his hyung's voice to push him back into thequiet darkness of sleep.

Mathan watched the boy as he fell back into a restless sleep but as he seemed to not be in any pain, he could not justify drugging him anymore

"I uh...bandages," Mathan tried in Korean. "Change."

Jin would never tell Mathan he looked adorable when he got annoyed, his eyes closing and his nose scrunching up as he waved a hand around in thought. He wouldn't tell him, but Jin noticed. It was not a side of himself that Mathan let very many people see, and had he not been trying so hard to find a middle ground with these seven men, Jin may not have seen it either.