13| At the Winter Cup!

- Chapter 13 -

At the Winter Cup!

I licked my fingers from the honey and swallowed my last bite of pancake. Checking the calendar, I smiled softly. Today was November the 7th, meaning that the Winter Cup preliminaries were beginning. I checked on my brother who was cleaning the dishes. He was really anxious yet excited about the Winter Cup. The team would show all of the hard work we had done throughout the summer and of course, aim for the top.

"I'll be waiting for you out, Tetsu-nii!" I beamed and walked back in my bedroom in order to fet ready. I wore the school's white skirt and a plain blue T-shirt above. I positioned myself in front of the single mirror in the house. My hair had gotten pretty long; currently, they were reaching the back-bones of my back, my collarbones on the front.

I will let them be. . . I thought and stuffed the necessary things in my bag. Schedule, pencils, notebook, bottles of water and some candies. Everyone needs some energy throughout the day and the best way, even if it is unhealthy, was consuming sweets. Or at least for me.

I walked down the stairs and exited the house with my coat hanging from my shoulder, making sure I wouldn't lock my brother inside. Waiting, I glanced at my watch and noticed with horror that we were already running late.

"Ayano, I'm-"

"Let's go!" I shouted the moment I confirmed my brother was with me and we both started running. Normally, it would have taken us ten minutes with our pace but the fear which was created when we thought about Riko-senpai's reaction made us arrive in front of the school within six minutes. A brilliant idea popped in my mind and I hid behind my brother. We walked silently behind Taiga who had questioned where we were and a small smirk formed my lips.

 "Over here, Taiga", I mused and all of the heads snapped towards our side, my waving cheerfully at them while Tetsu deadpanned.

The red head pointed accusingly at us with his other hand forming a fist, "You just arrived, liars!! Admit it!"

Hyuga-senpai hit the back of his kouhai's head and sent him a murderous look, "Anyway, everyone is here, right?"

"Then let's go!" Furihata yelled excitedly and threw his arms on the air. "We aren't missing anything or anyone, right?"

Riko-senpai scoffed and shot him with a reassuring look, "What are you saying?" A small grin was formed on her lips as we started our way which had no way back. Our destination, the goal and ambition of our team: win on the Winter Cup.

"We're going to take that back right now!"

. . .

My eyes flickered on the enormous building and I stared with awe at it. We had arrived at the school where the Winter Cup was taking place at, the building which was going to be our home for the next month. Students and players were walking around, individually or in groups, all of them sharing the same conversation. It was truly amazing of how much talented some players were and how they gave it all in order to participate in this competition. Truly admirable.

Our team was escorted in the lockers and we all gathered around an empty space with Riko-senpai showing us the schedules. According to her, there were 8 schools participating in the preliminary and right after the end of our own match, there would be 4 schools left. Our first opponent would be Seijou High School, the team which reached the 6th place during the Inter High. Truth was that they seemed to be a normal basketball team without any special slash magical techniques like lights, shadows, emperors and other crazy stuff. However, like any other team, they had their trump cards which were surely improved throughout the summer.