Divaradia - Part 2: The Promise >< Chapter 3

......Elidor walked until she was a few feet away, then sank into a perfect curtsey, with hey eyes down. "Queen Juliette, it has been too long."

......"Indeed it has, Queen Elidor. Rise, and we shall talk over tea." Juliette said graciously. The dance of manners had begun. I have no patience with manners. They are boring and a complete waste of time. Although I can't leave Lily and Elidor to face the sharks alone, so I guess I'll have to put up with it. 

......Juliette turned away from us and led us through the arch. I could see the palace in the distance, it was gigantic. It had magnificent stained glass windows, with high arches and tall gates. There were balconies everywhere and gardens surrounding the whole thing. I had thought that Elidor's castle was big, but this place made it seem like a small anthill. How did anyone learn their way around this thing?

......Juliette led us into one of the gardens and ordered one of the servants to bring all the things we would need for tea. Then she gestured for Elidor to sit down on one of the benches, opposite her.

......"Why don't you dismiss your maids, Elidor, and then we may talk?" Juliette requested sweetly. 

......I glanced at Elidor to see if that was what she wanted us to do. She shook her head slightly. "No. My maids stay with me. If what you need to say can't be said in front of them, then don't say it at all." Juliette's eyebrows rose incredulously. I sighed, Elidor was being stubborn and no way was Juliette going to win this little fight. 

......Juliette smoothed out her skirts, and fluttered her hands, looking for something to do with them. She settle for brushing through her hair, even thought it was already immaculate. 

......"So, what did you need to say?" Elidor asked, folding her arms in her lap. 

......"Well, I heard rumors that you had some, interesting, new friends." Juliette said, staring intently at Elidor. Lily and I glanced at each other, clueless. What new interesting friends was Juliette talking about? 

......Elidor frowned, looking as confused as we were. "What new friends are you talking about?" 

......"I heard that you met some other elementalists besides yourself. Is this true? Because if it is, then I must hear all about it." Juliette was now leaning forward, not even trying to conceal her interest. I wondered briefly if Elidor was going to admit who Lily and I were, but then I realized that of course she wouldn't. Then everyone would know that she had lied to Juliette. 

......Elidor arranged her features into a perfect mask of disappointment. "As much as I wish it were true, it is not. They would have been very helpful in the fight against my brother." I silently applauded her for steering the conversation in a different, much safer direction.

......"You had a fight against Rosforth? What was it about this time? Did he hurt Kookie?" Juliette asked, her face slightly annoyed.

....."It's Kuchi." Elidor said through her teeth. 

......"Kookie, Kuchi, same-same. But what did Rossie do?" Juliette said, waving a hand.

......"He made a mess in my country. I cast him out with Alison's help." Elidor was now gritting her teeth. I could imagine how hard it was for her to not make the wrong move. 

......There was a brief moment of silence as a servant came and set down a tray with small cakes, fresh fruit, a teapot, two cups, a small pitcher of milk and a bag of sugar. He gave one cup each to Elidor and Juliette and poured the tea. Then he walked away and Elidor and Juliette continued talking. 

......"Alison! And how is she? Does she still dislike court?" Juliette laughed, the sound was forced.

......"She's fine! And she absolutely loathes court." Elidor said, putting emphasis on 'loathes'. The atmosphere as getting more and more tense. Juliette and Elidor seemed on the verge of a big-scale fight. I had to get Elidor away from here before something really bad happened. Apparently Lily had the same idea.