🧵Twenty-Four: We're Fallin' Like the Stars, Fallin' in Fault

Start from the beginning

Alex: I'm sixteen.

Mom: Exactly. You're a pretty sixteen-year-old girl all alone on the streets. That's an easy target for criminals and god knows who else. I do not want my kid out on the street by herself.

Alex: God, Mom, it's not like Castillo Canyon is a hotbed of criminals and gangs. I'll be fine.

Mom: What's with the attitude? You've been pissy and downright disrespectful for the past couple of weeks.

Guilt crept in, but Alex quickly shoved it aside.

Alex: Nothing is going on.

The phone rang. It was her mom. Alex didn't want to answer it but knew there would be hell to pay if she didn't. Bracing herself, she answered, "What's up?"

"You can try and pull that 'Nothing is going on,' speech with others, but I'm your mom. I carried you in my womb for months. I know you better than yourself. So tell me, what's wrong? Is it Brianne and Sloane? Are they being mean to you?"

She wanted to roll her eyes. Mama bear was coming out. "I'm not being bullied."

"Okay, then is it the drama club? Has something happened with Keya or the other members?"

"No. Everything is fine."

"Then it's Alexx," her mother concluded.

She gritted her teeth at the finality in her mom's voice as if she knew something like this would happen. "It's not Georgie."

Her mom hesitated. "Hugo?" she asked softly.

A lump formed in Alex's throat. "We're, uh...taking a break." She'd passed him on her way to third period this morning. He'd been laughing with Arlo, looking like he didn't have a care in the world. When he spotted her, his laughter died, which made her chest squeeze. He gave her a solemn nod and then quickly looked away.

Her mom made a noise in the back of her throat. "Honey, I'm sorry. What happened? Are you okay?"

She cleared her throat. "Things have been hectic for both us, so we decided to cool it for a bit. It's fine—I'm fine."

"Oh, sweetie, you're not. I'll stop by the store and get your favorite ice cream. We can indulge while you tell me everything."

Alex's insides turned to mush. This was the mom she knew and loved. Maybe the whole affair thing was a misunderstanding. Maybe there was a perfectly rational explanation. "Mom..."

"I know, I know, you're sixteen and have friends of your own, but trust me, vegging out and talking is good for the soul." A man's voice called her mom's name. It sounded like Mr. Conway. "Listen, I have to get back to work, but tonight it's just you, me, and a big tub of ice cream, okay?"

Alex yearned to ask what Mr. Conway wanted but knew it wasn't the time or place. Instead of spilling the details about her and Hugo over ice cream, maybe she could turn the tables and get her mom to spill the truth about her relationship with her boss. Of course, what would she say or do if her mom was having an affair?

The mere thought made her skin flush with dismay. She drew in a calming breathe and reminded herself nothing was set in stone. It could all be a misunderstanding.

To take her mind off her mom, Alex headed to Mrs. Piccola's room. There were a couple of tweaks she wanted to make to the boys' costumes. She'd gotten the idea from an article she found in the library. When Alex reached the classroom, she was surprised to find it empty. Usually, it was bustling with Keya, Cleo, and the other members as they practiced their lines or musical numbers.