Chapter 71: We Need You

Almost immediately, the hall was filled with chaos.

Bolts of lightning rained down at random, accompanied with streams of flame aimed at the Scorpion, himself. The lights flickered as Jasper whizzed around, aiming his short bursts of lasers, and in the midst of it all, Ryn felt two of the Blanks that were holding her down fall away, followed by two more.

She managed to shrug several others off, just as Colt viciously pulled another away, and Toni sent the last one into an unconscious trance.

Once free, she snapped her wings open, knocking those that were still standing into the wall.

The Scorpion growled, before darting off down the hall.

Jackson sent a streak of flame soaring after him, just grazing the wall, as he rounded the corner of the familiar T-intersection.

He made move to chase after him, with Darcy and Elliot close on his heels.

Colt turned to Ryn, grabbing her by the shoulders and checking her over as if for any outstanding injuries. His eyes shot up to meet hers, a myriad of emotions flashing past, with concern being the most noticeable. 'Are you alright? Did he hurt you?'

'I'm fine, I'm fine, but-'

She was cut off when a powerful blast ricocheted up the hall, and Jackson was sent soaring backwards, crashing through the other two and landing with an ungrateful skidding roll across the floor.

'Inferno!' multiple voices cried out at once, as they all rushed over.

'Ow,' the young man groaned, pushing himself back to his knees. 'What. The Hell. Was that?!'

'I've seen him use that before,' Darcy winced, picking himself up and helping Elliot climb back to his own feet. 'Back at the subway. Some sort of sonic blast thing?'

'Well, it's nice to know he has a trick like that hiding up his sleeve,' Jasper muttered.

'Yeah, he also happens to have a giant room filled with dormant robotic scorpions,' Ryn added, her tone urgent. 'And he just ran off in its direction. If he wakes them up and sends them all after us, we're going to be in a whole heap of trouble.'

'Then we'd better stop him, before he gets that far,' Colt instructed, darting off after the escaping villain.

Together, the nine of them pounded around the corner, just as they saw the Scorpion disappear through the doorway at the other end.

'He is not getting away with it this time!' Jackson snarled, pouring on the speed.

Ryn had just passed the familiar, smashed in door of her previous holding cell when four incredibly imposing metal scorpions scuttled into view from the direction of the large room, blocking their path.

They were absolutely gigantic, at least three-quarters as big as Monster when fully transformed, each one taking up the entire width and height of the hall. Pincers snapped with malice, and their tails rose up threateningly over the flattened shell of their backs.

Kiley yelped.

Darcy let out a strained, 'Well, Hell.'

All of them were overcome with unyielding dread.

'Monster,' Jackson clapped him on the shoulder. 'We could really use your help, right about now.'

'You think I could fit in this hallway?' Colt replied, every muscle in his body visibly tense. 'If I can't move, I can't do anything.'

They backed up as the automated arachnids edged closer, each step of their long, slender legs was slow and purposeful, like that of a predator who knew their prey was cornered.