Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Out of breath, Zahra pushed open the glass doors and came out. She was soo stupid, why on earth did she run? No, wait….why did she have to open her big mouth in the first place, but, there was no way out of it now, he was so intimidating that it was totally impossible for her to have kept quiet. She should have just said sorry or something and walked away but it never occurred to her stupid mind. ‘First impression is the last impression’, so they say. The damage was done now and she had made it worse by running off like that. She just wished the ground beneath her to crack open and gobble her up whole, in one mouthful. The matter would end up, then and there. Hunh….if wishes could come true, what wouldn’t she have given to make that happen….

“What are you doing here? Mustn’t you be inside with all the other trainees??” Ms. Andrews barked. DANG IT!! She just had to be here, out of all other places on the earth one could be at. “I….uh…. I was not feeling well, Ms. Andrews, so… I came out. Please don’t make me go back in there….please” Zahra begged her, making a desperate excuse to save herself from any further scrutiny.

“You have done something and are trying to hide it, right?” She eyed her suspiciously. God!! Nothing goes past her. “Okay I’ll let you off easy for once, but, you will stay here, and if you move as much as an inch, I’ll make you get inside” she said and went into the office, muttering something about ‘lack of manners in girls these days’, under her breath.

Whew! She was saved….for now, at least. She stood there and waited for the others to come out now. After a while, she heard Ms. Andrews shouting at somebody and ran towards the group as she saw them coming out of the CEOs office. “Now, the next task on your schedule today is to check out the Company Library. It’s on the sixth floor. Get as much information as you can about ‘Walworth & Co.’ and then at exactly 12:00 p.m., you will all gather over here so that bosses can be assigned to each group of four trainees, according to your departments” she went on saying as they jogged behind her to keep themselves in hearing range.

“Hey Jennifer, did Mr. Walworth say anything after I ran out?” Zahra quietly asked her friend, lest the old bat might hear her. She knew Jennifer from her office and she was nice to talk to. “Well…he just briefed us about the Company’s motives and its goals for the coming years. He also told us about some oath taking ceremony that will be held at the end of this month in which we’ll have to take oath that ‘we dedicate ourselves for achieving the Company’s motives’ and blah….blah...blah. This year it will be a gala event as it’s the Company’s tenth birth anniversary.

 “Ah…yes, I remember now, he did say something referring to you. You know, just when you ran out, he muttered something about ‘desperate people who would do anything to catch other’s attentions’, but don’t worry okay, it won’t change our perception about you, we know what kind of a person you are, and you’re definitely not the attention seeking kind, trust me. By the way, why DID you take off just like that?” she asked confused. “Well…it’s a long story” Zahra replied and smiled.

******SOMEWHERE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD******

There is an empty, huge and dark room with almost no light, except a small candle burning in the middle of a large table having transparent glass panels. A man, probably young in age, is sitting on one of the two chairs placed on either side of the table. His face is in darkness but his long fish like hands are visible and are quite prominent in the dim light, making ghost-like shadows on the walls of the room. A man is standing outside at the door, wearing an all-black mercenary kind of suit with black sunglasses, and is apparently the bodyguard of the man sitting inside.

He opens the door. “Sir, the parcel you ordered has been brought, and this time, he has got positive news” he informs in a robotic voice. “Finally, something is up, I’m glad to know. Send him in Jake…and close the door behind you” the man says in a mysterious monotone. A short middle aged man with long hairs and a bald patch in the middle is sent inside. He has a tanned face, giving a hint of his belonging to the Indian subcontinent. He is shaking violently, apparently scared out of his wits. “I… I… I’ve got n...nothing to tell y...you” he stutters with a slightly Indian accent. The man with the hidden face grins loudly and says “Sit down and breathe a little. You have plenty of time to say what you want.”