Chapter 67

Frankie's P.O.V.
I woke up covered in sweat. I throw my blanket off me and get out of bed. I run my hands through my hair. Did I have a nightmare? If I remember correctly, it was something about Pippa, or Nick, or both. I don't remember. I remember being scared. Are they okay?

I make my way over to Pippa's room, but she's not there. I start to hyperventilate. Hasn't she come home yet? Where is she?

I run into Nick's room to find him peacefully asleep. I can't help but want to wake him up, so I do. I violently shake him. "What's going on?" Nick wakes up. My sobs make him more alert.

"Pippa's not home yet. What if she never comes back?" I ask him upset. He gets up and puts me in his bed. "Stay here for a minute. I'll be back." I reach for his arm trying to get him to stay.

"It's only a minute. I promise." He gives me a sad smile and I let him go. I sob harder when he disappears from my sight.

As he promised, he came back and sits on the bed next to me. "She's in Joe's room. She's not hurt. She's safe with Joe." I sit up as well and cling to him. I was so scared.

I'm still crying, but more out of relief now. I was worried for nothing.

Nick tries to calm me, but nothing seems to be working. He opens a window to let some fresh air enter the room. "Come on. Get up." He tells me.

I get up and follow him up on the roof. We sit down and watch the stars. "Joe used to take me here if I was upset. Kevin usually took me into the garden. He thought this was irresponsible, but I felt like you needed it." I've turned to hiccupping.

"I don't know why I was so upset or why I can't calm down." I try to explain through the heavy breathing. "It's alright." He wraps an arm around me as we sit in silence.

After about half an hour he turns to me. "Why were you so upset?" He asks me.

I look down and fumble around with my fingers. I shrug. "I feel like her leaving again is my fault." I tell him. "Why?"

"Because I broke her trust. We made a deal and I didn't keep it. I spilt her secret which wasn't mine to share. I mean... obviously it would have come out either way, but I did it. I brought it up. It's my fault." I try to explain.

"That is not your fault, Tank. She never should have kept it from anyone in the first place. I understand she was in a bad place and that she might not have intended a suicide, but it could have killed her nonetheless. You acted wisely with her, because she might not be here anymore if it weren't for you." He tries to convince me.

I shrug again. "I wish I could feel it like that, but I don't. I don't think I will ever forgive myself for this." I tell him. Why am I saying all this? I'm fine keeping it to myself. I don't need to add more to Nick's stress. He's got enough to deal with without worrying about me.

"Don't do this to yourself. She probably only went out for the afternoon. Most likely seen Molly. She's never been in any trouble or danger today. She's safe with Joe now. She's allowed to go out with friends. Sure, I don't like how she did it, she scared all of us, but it's no reason to hold it against yourself." He does make sense.

The next morning, breakfast is a little awkward. It's quiet. No one wants to talk. Nick keeps giving me these glances and I can see Joe do the exact same with Pippa. All Pippa does is eat and for some reason she keeps glaring towards me. I knew she was angry with me. Nick lied to me. How could he lie to me?

Later last night he promised me that she doesn't hate me. That she knew I couldn't keep a secret like that for her. That she understood she needs help and that our family needs to know these things.

At some point, Pippa shoves her plate away and walks from the table. I decide to follow her. Nick tries to stop me but fails.

"What is your problem?" I ask her. "My problem? You are. How could you do that to me? I hate you!" She yells at me. I can usually handle it when they scream at me, but this hurt. Never have I heard so much anger in the sentence 'I hate you!' as she just used.

We stand there in front of each other while she waits for me to respond, but I can't seem to do that as the tears form in my eyes and I run off. I don't give her the chance to say more, because I know it won't end good with me.

I run to my room. I slammed the door and leaned against it, while wiping my tears. I thought it was empty, but Nick was already there.

"It's not your fault." Is all he says to make me break. I burst into sobs and run over to him. I throw myself onto him and he holds me as I cry.

"She hates me." I cry into his shoulder. "She shouldn't have said that. She doesn't hate you. It probably was a spur in the moment kind of thingy. Don't take it to heart. You'll be alright. Everything will be okay." He waits for me to cry all the tears I need to let go.

It takes a while, but after while I finally manage to stop crying. "You feeling better?" He asks me. I nod, but am not planning on letting go yet.

Thanks so much for reading!
Please leave a vote and/or a comment. Let me know what you think! It will really help me! It's nice to know what people think about the story.

If you have any suggestions or something you'd like to see, please comment or dm me to let me know :)