-Chapter 1- Caleb: The Awakening

I squinted through the light piercing my eyes. Consciousness slowly drifted past me, struggling to awaken from a dreamless slumber. I felt numb and half asleep.

Only the slight burning of the sun got me grounded. The bright rays stung my skin. And for a moment, it was the only thing I could feel. Pain.

What day is it?

What time is it?

Forcing my eyes to open, I found myself looking at the ceiling of my red four poster bed. My eyes slowly focused. As I stared at the intricate wooden patterns for a few minutes, I gathered my thoughts of what transpired the night before. Or make that nights ago.

Why am I here in bed?

Contrary to popular belief, vampires sleep in beds, too. Also, according to popular belief, vampires dread the sun. Correct. Beds and sunshine are two things that should not mix right now.

A vampiric hibernation?

I should've gone to the coffin in the basement for that purpose. It would've shielded me from the sun. However, the close quarters enough for one person... It gets me all claustrophobic. I won't be able to sleep like some statue, devoid of all movement.

Next time, I'll remember to close the curtains.

As realizations overwhelmed me, I felt another strong sensation. Also painful and burning. Worse... Thirst.

The ache in my throat stinging, my right hand involuntarily grabbed my neck as if to stop the pain. I grabbed the left post of my bed for support as I got up, feeling the plush silk bed sheets against my back.

Completely aware that I might fall into an uncontrollable bloodlust, I frantically looked around for something to drink. Anything. I have conquered the beast in me long ago, I'd never let my instincts go untethered.

Glancing at the bedside table, I saw a Plasma Fruit. Its glowing purple skin beckoned me. I grabbed it, swift as lightning. My fangs gripped its soft skin and cool liquid oozed down my throat. The sense of relief was welcoming.

"Caleb, you awake? Come down! I prepared glasses of Plasma Jane. I'm sure you're parched." That was my sister Lilith. Her vampiric senses are incredible! Able to detect my slightest movements. And yes! I'm still thirsty. Very thirsty. The Plasma Fruit only fleeting.

Before my instincts could take a hold of me, I ran with my vampiric speed to go downstairs. It took me a minute. I realized I'm slower than normal. And it never happened in my years of existence. Never.

There on top of the bar was a sparkling glass of Plasma Jane. I grabbed and gulped it all in a blink of an eye. It soothed my aching throat instantly. And slowly, I came to.

My sister was in front of me. Marble white skin with a gray shade. Stiff black hair which goes to her shoulders. Her bangs reaches her eyebrows. Her daring yellow eyes looked at me with amusement. Then, I saw her smile, flashing her fangs. She wears her usual Gothic makeup which highlighted her features ... Kohl around her round eyes, white powder on her pert nose, and black lipstick. Her outfit is stunning, sleeveless yellow top and black tight jeans.

"Your Plasma Janes are to 'die for', sister.", I said by way of thanks as I grabbed my second glass. Looking at this purplish opaque elixir with red swirls... like a plain smoothie cocktail. But Lilith doesn't make plain.

Plasma Janes has Plasma Fruit as the main ingredient. My sister and I discovered that Plasma Fruit can be a good substitute for blood. It's all a mystery how it does that. But it works! It has been quenching our thirst for ninety years.