43 ♛ Reunion

- Li Xun -

Several people were engaged in conversations, but unlike them, he sat in his seat, quietly sipping his tea. Not once did his eyes drift away from Long'Er, drinking in her ravishing appearance.

Today's outfit was by far the most extravagant one she had worn before him. A flowing, midnight blue dress with shimmering moons and stars, accentuated her beauty and elegance. Luscious white pearls hung from thin, silver chains that were clipped to her ears. The top half of her raven hair was braided and attached with an elaborated headpiece, forming a small crown on her head. The rest of her hair cascaded down her back beautifully.

Her skin was fair. Her cheeks and eyes were dusted in a light pink powder, her lips covered in a rosy red colour like an apple. They curved into a small smile when she caught him watching her dazedly.

Just like the first time, she stole his breath away.

Be it a bodyguard or a maiden... It didn't matter to him which side of her she showed him, because his heart just would not stop pounding madly around her.

Thinking back, he realised how he had been fooled by the father-daughter pair. Clearly, Minister Han had put on a perfect act when Li Xun confronted him earlier.

Even though he still couldn't seem to grasp the fact that Long'Er was his daughter, it would make sense that this was the reason she accepted his job offer after rejecting him a few times. She had come to the palace to find her biological father. Yet, at the same time, she didn't wish to tell Li Xun his name because she didn't want to paint him in a bad picture if he happened to know the man. Which he did.

Regardless of what had happened, everything seemed to work in Li Xun's favour and that was all that mattered.

He continued staring at her, knowing that she could sense his gaze on her. The mischief that she possessed earlier vanished in her eyes, followed by a lovely blush that scattered across her cheeks. She glanced away shyly and busied herself by sipping her cup of tea.

One of the ministers sitting at the table exclaimed loudly and raised his cup for a toast.

"Congratulations on your reunion, Minster Han! Is this girl the child that your first wife gave birth to?"

A smile broke out on Minister Han's face.

"Indeed, that is true."

The sudden news of him having a biological daughter took everybody in the room by surprise. They began raising several questions which he answered one at a time.

Amidst the excitement, Li Xun felt his mother watching him from the side and was forced to shift his attention away from Long'Er.

"Mother?"

The Empress shot him a knowing look. "So, has any girl in this room caught your interest?"

Amusement flashed in her eyes and Li Xun knew that he was caught red-handed. He groaned out loud. "Mother!"

She nudged his feet with hers impatiently. "What are you waiting for?" she whispered. "You better hurry or the girl will be eaten up soon!"

They turned back to their guests. True to the Empress's words, the rest of the noblewomen in the hall were growing restless by the minute. Unhappy at the fact that Li Xun wasn't paying them any attention. They glared at Minister Han's daughter, their lips curling in disdain because she had stolen the limelight ever since her arrival.

The Empress rested her hand on her son's arm and spoke loudly. "Son? Can you escort Lady Han and bring her around the palace? This is probably her first time here and I'm certain she would love to see the scenery."