42 ♛ Unforeseen Events

- Li Xun -

Wang Chen was apprehended for his crimes.

That night, if Li Xun had not sent Ling Yao back in time after discovering the mastermind behind the recent assassinations, things might have turned out disastrous.

Ever since the Emperor was almost killed, the palace had been in a state of uproar. Lord Chen was harshly interrogated and forced to reveal all of his sins. If not for Li Xun's sincere plea to spare his cousin's life, he would have been executed in public. Now, he was exiled to a small, isolated island and placed under tighter security.

This wasn't the end. By the order of the Emperor, Li Xun cleansed the Court by getting rid of the remaining corrupted rats who had conspired with Lord Chen.

Back in his office, he snuck a peek at his long-time friend, who was behaving oddly ever since their return to the palace. From the shadow in his eyes, anyone could tell that his mind was troubled.

"Why the constant frown, Ling Yao? Shouldn't you be happy that you will be receiving a promotion and a reward tomorrow?"

The man hesitated, before eventually revealing the reason behind his discomfort. "People are constantly staring and giggling around me, especially the maids. They can't stop approaching me."

"Oh." Li Xun smirked and set down his paperwork. "Isn't it obvious? You saved Father from the assassins. You're now being regarded as a hero in everybody's eyes. It is, without a question, that you've gotten yourself quite a few admirers now."

If anything, Ling Yao appeared even more displeased. He shifted his weight between his feet, looking rather awkward with all the attention he was receiving. His voice dropped to a low whisper, wary of the servants lurking outside of the office.

"How can I stop them?"

This time, Li Xun couldn't simply miss the opportunity to tease his friend. "I've got a solution. Why don't you take this chance to find a suitable spouse for yourself? The maids will stop coming once they see you're engaged."

Ling Yao arched one of his brows at him questioningly, his mouth twitching once in humour. "I would like to pass up on that idea, Your Highness. After witnessing how you're constantly tortured for days to select a bride, I would much rather prefer my unmarried life."

The reminder sent a wave of unpleasant memories through Li Xun's mind. His hands clutched his head and he groaned out loud. "Don't remind me about the meetings. I'm tired."

He wasn't lying. Ever since the sudden announcement by the Emperor on wanting to relinquish his throne and find a suitable bride for Li Xun, all attention was placed on him. Countless requests came flooding in everyday and his daily schedule was filled to the brim. The Empress had taken upon the role to introduce him to several ministers' and dukes' daughters, much to her content, and not a day went by without Li Xun meeting up with them.

They tried hard to catch his attention; the bolder ones would prattle on about everything and shower him with praises, whereas the shy ones would blush, stuttering over their words and avoiding eye contact with him. However, the more they talked, the more apologetic he felt. No matter how hard they tried, these girls would never be able to interest him.

None of them were as captivating as her. And brave, and beautiful, and smart.

Ling Yao spoke up again, coincidentally speaking about the woman Li Xun was thinking about. "Your Highness, what're you going to do about her?"