NINETEEN | owe me

"Do you think it's a good idea we drive to the crime scene together?" I button up the bottom part of my blouse before adjusting the collar. "What if someone sees us?"

Tony's hands find their way to my shoulders, and he presses a small kiss to my neck. "Kate hasn't even called Gibbs yet." His lips move further up. "If Kate and McGee see us, they'll just think we're trying to save the Earth. . .or something."

"You better hope no one sees us." I grab my bottle of concealer, dabbing some on the bruises around my neck.

"And why is that?"

"You'll end up in the doghouse for a week."

We take Tony's car and drive down to the crime scene.

"Where have you two been?" Kate greets us in front of the house, where she and McGee are unloading the NCIS truck. "You guys just took off as soon as your lunch break started."

"We were just. . .you know. . ." I look over at Tony, silently pleading for him to come up with an excuse.

Tony instantly points to my blouse. "Clumsy little Evaline spilled coffee all over her top, so I drove her back to her place so she could get changed."

"That was oddly. . .nice of you."

Oh, no. No, no, no. She's suspicious.

"Well, of course, I had to convince him to take me back." I shrug my shoulders. "And it's not like I invited him or something."

You're slipping, Eva. Shut up while you can.

Fortunately, Kate says nothing else, and we walk into the house. Right by the back door is a pool of blood.

And for once, it belongs to the perpetrator, who is currently fighting for his life in the base hospital.

"Eva, DiNozzo, I want you to head over to the base hospital. I want this dirtbag's personal effects and his prints." Gibbs demands once we arrive.

I snatch the cup out of McGee's hand when he raises it to his lips. "Would you stop that?"

"What?" He frowns in confusion. "Tony got me a coffee."

"Since when does Tony get you coffee?" I raise a suggestive brow.

It takes him a while, but he quickly realizes who the coffee really belonged to.

"Boss, I have your coffee!"

Tony and I walk into the hospital nervously, taking a few minutes to find the right floor. We stop at the front desk.

"Special Agent —"

"I'm Tony DiNozzo, NCIS. This is Special Agent Giudice." Tony quite literally shoves me aside and winks down at the woman. "I'd love to ask you a few questions. Say. . .over lunch, Lieutenant?"

"Uh, Kim." She fakes a smile before raising her left hand. "And this is my engagement ring, Agent DiNozzo. I brought my lunch." And she turns to me. "How can I help you?"

Without waiting for a response, I push him to the side, smiling ever so brightly.

"What can you tell us about the gunshot victim you brought in last night?" Tony questions.

"I already told the M.P.s everything I know."

"If you couldn't tell already, we're not M.P.s, so tell us what sort of shape he is in." My elbows press against the edge of the desk.

Lieutenant Kim glances back at an array of monitors. "Stable for the moment."

"Well, we kinda need to talk to him."