Gone

Jaxon's POV

I sighed again hanging up the phone. The call hadn't been any different than the others. No one had found anything that could help Kandice or help us find her brother. All we had found out was there were a pack of rouges in the state somewhere. That did help some because we knew that the people with Kaleb were rouges. I had been calling around asking anyone if they knew where the rouges could be camping at, but no one knew. There had been reports about female wolves turning up dead or missing. Some had been raped, others just mauled. I knew I needed to find Kaleb and fast because Kandice had been getting a little restless. She had been working none stop, we both have. We're always tired and haven't been able to spend much time together.

I got up from my chair and walked out onto the balcony. I was tired of sitting there staring at paper work and not getting anywhere. I wanted to find him and help Kandice, that's all I could think about. Saving them was my first priority. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. It was a letter. A different one, that we hadn't told Kandice about. It wasn't for her anyway, it was for me.

Jaxon,

Hello, Alpha. I thought I made myself clear when I sent the last letter, but apparently not clear enough. I said I wanted her and I will get her. If you won't send her to me, I'll take her against her will and I am going to have her.

Yours Truly

P.S. And be sure to tell Kandice, Kaleb says hello.

I stuffed it back into my pocket. Every word was imprinted in my brain. I had keep my guards up constantly since we got this letter. It was about two and a half weeks after we got the first. Whoever it was hadn't written anything else after this one and I was glad. I wish I knew what they wanted with her. When I found this person I was going to kill them. They had caused my mate and pack so much trouble. Kandice had already been through so much and this was only adding to her problems. She even stressed about the little things, like meeting my mom. She had been worried mom wouldn't like her. All of it was building up and I knew she was hiding things from me.

Everyone had been stressing lately. We had been working harder in almost every department. Training had gotten rougher, more skillful, and challenging. The cubs and younger kids have been working too, but not much, no one wants to over work children. Some of the women had been cooking large meals for all the fighters and trainees and our allies. The men have done nothing, but train and the elders help the younger kids and females around the house and with taking care of the cubs. Kandice has to help with everything, the training, cooking, cleaning, cubs and so do I.

"Jaxon?" Someone called.

I turned around. "Hey, Maria. What's up?"

"Um, have you seen Kandice?" She asked, "I can't find her."

"She came by, but I told her I had to work so I'm not sure where she is now." I told Maria honestly. "Did you check the room?"

"I think Wes is checking now." She told me frowning.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

Maria shrugged, "I don't know. I just have this bad feeling that something-"

I hissed as I felt a pain in my back. It felt like someone had shot me with a needle and the chemical was slowly spreading through my body. I knew for a fact this wasn't my pain and Maria was right something is wrong.

"We have to find her, somethings definitely wrong." I told Maria. She started to panic. I shook my head. "Maria, no. I need you to stay calm so we can fine Kandice. Okay?"

She nodded. "Is she okay?"

"I don't know."

*******************************

"Sir, we found her scent in town." Harold replied, on the phone.

"In town? Did you find her? Is she there?" I asked making a U-turn in the road headed for town.

"No, Sir. She's not here." Harold said quietly, "But we found her car and it seems like she was with someone. They were at a cafe first and then she went to the park. Her scent disappears afterwards."

"What do you mean disappeared? It couldn't have."

"I'm sorry, Sir, but her scent isn't here anymore." Harold calmly stated.

I sighed trying to calm down. It wasn't his fault she was gone. I couldn't snap on everyone right now. I needed to be level-headed. "I'll be there in 5 minutes."

I hung up the phone pressing down harder on the gas. I needed to get to town and see for myself what was going on. Everyone is freaking out right now. No one knew she was gone, that she had left the pack house. God, I'm the worse mate ever. I should of just listened to her then maybe she would still be safe and by my side. Not out there where no one knew where she could be or if she was hurt. How the hell am I supposed to save her? And Kaleb? Damn it, I was expected to keep her safe and out of harms way. I had promised that no one would get her or hurt her again. If they hurt her, they might as well have committed suicide because when I got my hands on them, I was going to kill every last one of them.

I quickly pulled to a stop and jumped out of my car, not even bothering to shut off the engine. I ran over to where I could see Trent and more pack members standing in the park.

"Where does her scent start?" I asked.

"The cafe down this street, Sir." Harold replied. I have no idea why he calls me that, when he's older than me, but right now was not the time to be thinking about that.

I ran up the street to where Kandice's car was parked. Sniffing the air, I followed her scent into the cafe. She had definitely been here. I walked over to where she was sitting and breathed deeply. I growled. Salem. I could smell his scent with hers. Had she come to meet him? Why would she do that?

I followed her scent back to the pack making sure I didn't miss anything. Harold was right, her scent disappeared here. I looked around searching for some type of clue. I couldn't see anything out of the norm so I walked around sniffing the air, trying to find a rouge scent. I paused. There was something in the air that smelled slightly familar. But what? I breathed in again, slow and deliberate. It smelled like... something I had smelled before and there was something else, but I knew immediately what it was. Silver. Fuck, they used silver on her, that's why her scent disappeared. The smell of the silver masked her scent. That must of been what they stuck in her back. Damn it, Kandice. Kandice. There was something about her scent and this some one. Kaleb. I remembered his scent from the letter the rouges had sent us. They must have brought him here to lure her in.

I walked back to where Kandice's scent was at the edge of the park. Something caught my attention. Salem's scent vanished, too. Does that mean they're together? Did they take Salem, too? "That's Salem's scent with hers." I told everyone. "Her brother's scent is also here and from the looks of things I'd say they injected her with silver."

"How are we gonna find her?" Trent asked.

"I don't know how, but we ARE going to."