1) What types of opportunities do you have?
When you become a Star, you are part of a group of Wattpadders who are considered for opportunities. These opportunities include (but are not limited to):
- Exclusive* consideration for Paid Stories
- Exclusive* consideration for Wattpad Studios (including Wattpad Books and adaptation for television and film)
- Exclusive* consideration to speak at in-person events, like WattCon
- Invitations to contribute to our brand campaigns
- Invitations to participate in incentivized writing challenges for our brand and entertainment partners
- Exclusive contests
* Depending on our business needs at any given time, we may consider stories that are not part of the Stars program on a case-by-case basis.
2) What companies have you partnered with?
We have many partners globally who we've teamed up with to bring our Stars various opportunities, including Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, CBC, EntertainmentOne, Paramount, NBC, Sony Pictures, Bavaria Film, Lagardère, Endemol Shine Group, iFlix, MediaCorp, Anvil Publishing, and more!
3) Do I retain the rights to my stories if I become a Star?
Yes! Unless you have accepted an opportunity where the rights have been negotiated, you will continue to retain the rights to your stories. However, if you wish to remove any of your stories off your profile, please contact us with 30-days written notice.
4) Are my stories now exclusive to Wattpad? Am I now limited on what I can do with my stories?
No. Unless you have entered into a contract with Wattpad in which we have purchased, optioned, or are shopping your content, you are free to do with your stories as you please. However, if you wish to remove any of your stories off your profile, please contact us with 30-days written notice as we may be considering one of your works internally for opportunities. If you have a story being considered by a third party (entertainment, publishing, gaming, etc), please let us know which rights are and aren't available.
5) I don't live in North America. Will this limit my opportunities as a Star?
No. We continue to work to offer opportunities to all of our Stars, regardless of where they are in the world.
6) Does Wattpad plan to expand the Stars program into other languages?
Yes! The Stars team will be working towards Stars representation in other languages. There will be updates as we continue to expand our international presence.
7) What is Paid Stories?
Paid Stories is a new way for our writers to connect with the readers that help support their work. By joining this program, you will be given the opportunity to make money off of one or more of your stories when readers pay to read them.
8) How do I apply for Paid Stories?
Currently, the Paid Stories program is invitation-only. Stars will be the first to be considered for the program, but this is not a guarantee of admission. There is no formal application for the program, but if you want to get a head start, we recommend submitting a Story Coverage Form for any completed stories over 50K words.
9) What is Wattpad Books?
Launched in January 2019, Wattpad Books gives Wattpad writers the opportunity to have their stories published. With a specific focus on publishing unique and diverse voices, Wattpad Books takes the stories people have obsessed over, and gives them a platform so their creators can be heard.
10) How do I submit to Wattpad Books?
Unfortunately, Wattpad Books is not currently accepting applications for consideration. Wattpad Books combines the best of art and science, using human expertise and Story DNA Machine Learning technology to identify the trends, voices, and stories that are the future of publishing, which helps us to find the books we wish to publish.
11) What is Wattpad Studios?
Wattpad Studios is dedicated to harnessing the power of storytelling on Wattpad by propelling original stories (and their captivated audiences) into entertainment and publishing. So far, they've helped many Stars realize their creative dreams through book, film, and television deals.
12) Will I get a publishing or film/TV deal for my book(s) because I'm a Star?
Wattpad Stars will be among the first to be considered for opportunities with Wattpad Books and Wattpad Studios. However, we cannot guarantee that your stories will be selected.
13) How do I get noticed by Paid Stories/Wattpad Books/Wattpad Studios?
Continuing to update your stories and uploading new stories on Wattpad, working towards improving your writing skills, and engaging throughout the Wattpad community will help you to stand out for these types of opportunities.
14) Can I pitch a concept for a book, film, or TV show directly to Wattpad Studios?
No, but we are always scouting for content. If the Studios team is interested in reviewing one of your stories, you will hear directly from us.
15) Can I send you a recent manuscript?
Yes! While we can't guarantee that any opportunities will come from you sending us your manuscript, we will happily keep it on file should the Paid, Books, or Studios teams wish to review the story. However, please note that we cannot offer specific timelines, responses, or feedback on manuscripts provided to us. In addition, you may be asked to provide a more recent manuscript if your story is being submitted to entertainment partners.
16) Do I have to accept any of the offers that I receive?
While we hope that any of our offers from Wattpad would provide you with an exciting opportunity, you are not obligated to accept an offer, should you feel that it is not the best fit for you.
17) What if I don't want to have my story sent to any entertainment or publishing partners?
If you don't wish for any of your stories to be considered for any opportunities, regardless of the reason, please reach out to us.
18) Can I choose where Wattpad shops my story?
No. To be considered for opportunities through Studios, you must agree to the terms outlined in our shopping agreement, which includes terms regarding where your story will be shopped. If you are not happy with the terms outlined in your specific agreement, then this might not be the opportunity for you.
19) Will becoming a Wattpad Star affect my chances of winning a Watty?
No. Being a Star will neither increase nor decrease your chances of winning a Watty. Entries to the Wattys are judged based on the quality of the work, regardless of who submitted them.
20) Will there be opportunities to speak and/or participate at in-person events, like WattCon?
Should there be opportunities for Stars to participate in any writer events, we will reach out and provide more information.
21) How can I have visibility into what opportunities I'm considered for?
If you've signed a shopping agreement, you will be sent a monthly Content Submission Report, detailing all of the partners that are reviewing your story, and the stage in the process.
22) I'm having my book published, but not through Wattpad. Will you still support me?
Of course! We are always happy to see our Stars' dreams come true, whether we're involved or not. If you have a publishing deal, let us know so we can join in on the celebration!
2) Will writing anonymously impact my eligibility for these opportunities?
No. We respect your wish to remain anonymous and will not reveal any confidential information about you.