Chapter Two: House Arrest

“Hey, Uncle Dave?”

Dave squints his eyes slightly. “What, Patrice?”

“Dr. Zomboss is calling you again.”

“...Hang up on him.”

“Ok, ok…” He hears tapping, and the ringing he hadn't even noticed was there stops. Finally, he can slee-

“Hey, Uncle Dave?”

“What, Patrice?”

“I think we're in Poptopia.”

Ok, that's a good enough reason for him to open his eyes. He does so, blinking a few times to clear the sleep out of them. They're still in Penny, who has landed them in… a tree. Good enough, he supposes - they're not injured, at least.

He looks out the window at the harrowing forest, stretching out as far as the eye can see. Well, they're certainly not in California anymore. 

“What makes you think we're in Poptopia, Patrice…?” He says. She lifts up something she'd been holding - oh. It's a chuzzle.

“Hello!” It squeaks. “What are you?”

“I’m Crazy Dave, friend.”

“Wow! I've never met a ‘Crazy Dave’ before! Are you from the weird place that just popped up?”

“Weird… place?”

Patrice puts the chuzzle down on the seat between them. “I think it's talking about Neighborville.”

“Wait, Neighborville? But if we're in Poptopia, then-” 

Dave opens his door, and twists himself to look out behind the van. Sure enough, he spots a few key landmarks - Zomboss’ manor, the pizza joint, the flagpole… all of them intercepting this strange, Poptopian forest.

“Well,” Dave mumbles. “Jesus Christ.”

“Can I go now?” The chuzzle says, rolling over in the seat. “I'm bored.”

“Yeah, go ahead.” Dave replies. The chuzzle hops over Patrice, and out of her window. His niece sniffles, then sneezes. 

“I think I might be allergic to those things…” She grumbles. “Penny, can you give me a tissue?”

“Of course, User Patrice.”

The van whirs, and a clean tissue pops out if the disc slot. Patrice quickly blows her nose.

“What are we gonna do, Uncle Dave?” She says, balling up the tissue.

“Hmm…” Dave scratches his chin. “I don't know. Maybe we should just… take a look around? Hey Penny, can you prepare us for liftoff?”

“Checking boosters… rechecking…” The van says. “Liftoff imminent. Keep your seatbelts buckled.”

Patrice buckles her seatbelt, and Dave grasps the steering wheel. Slowly, they lift from the tree, flying into the air above Neighborville. 

“Playing relaxing music… smooth jazz imminent.”

Smooth jazz begins to play. Dave rolls his eyes. “Whatever you want, Penny.”

●●●

They've been flying around for maybe an hour, taking it all in. Patrice hasn't lifted her eyes from the scene outside of her window - plants and zombies alike rushing around in a confused and panicked state, wondering why they're suddenly in a forest. The occasional chuzzle hops by one of them.

“And you're sure you can't activate any portal tech, Penny?” Dave asks the van. 

“That's a negative, User Dave.” Penny replies. “I have checked and rechecked the engines, and while there appears to be nothing broken, I can not open a stable portal to Earth.”