Prologue

Tony tried to let Peter be Spider-Man freely and not interfere with his patrols, he really tried, but every week he would find out about new injuries, dangerous injuries that his protégé got and tried to hide. Tony couldn't handle it he was reaching his limit and he knew it. 

He saw Peter as the son he never had and only wanted to keep him safe away from the danger of the world, and of course that didn't include fighting crime every night and suffering injuries because of that.

Peter had his aunt May to look after him, Tony said over and over in his head, but she wasn't enough she would never be enough. She was simply incapable of that task since whenever she wasn't working or asleep, she didn't have the time or patience for her nephew and did not know about his after school activities or that he needed more food because of his metabolism, or for that matter the injuries that he sustained daily.

That angered Tony. How couldn't his aunt see that he was losing weight, or that he come home late, covered in his own blood, almost every night.

Then the snap happened, and Peter died in his arms. That moment broke something inside Tony, he locked himself in his lab trying to find a solution to bringing Peter back. He figured out how to months later.
Between that time, he told the Avengers about how much he cared for Peter, but they already knew. I mean everyone knew. Nobody missed the paternal look that Tony had when he was with Peter, the care that his eyes showed whenever he talked about his son was undeniable.

When Tony brought Peter back, he thought everything would be okay. But it wasn't. Peter still wasn't safe. He still showed up from patrol with bruises and scrapes that kept getting worse and worse. Tony knew he couldn't allow this to continue. So, one day Tony snapped and started plotting a plan to keep him safe away from the world.