vi. lend a helping hand

chapter six - act one
LEND A HELPING HAND

chapter six - act oneLEND A HELPING HAND

──────────

When brought before the opening that leads into a cave engulfed by darkness, Eden can feel her prior comment about attaining the egg being an easy task coming back to her in the form of karma. She, Mando and the child had set out upon the mission of stealing a mudhorn's egg, they, along with Kuiil, having hitched a ride within the Sandcrawler, which had dropped the bounty hunters off near the egg's location. From there, the weight of the mission lies upon their shoulders, Kuiil and the Jawa awaiting their return, or signs of their demise.

Shifting her weight from one leg to the other in apprehension, her gaze flickers toward her partner in the dangerous endeavour. He checks over each of his weapons, ensuring that, if they're required, they are of easy access. When satisfied with his checks, he offers a slight nod to Eden, the signal to commence their quest into the cave. As the two bounty hunters carefully step down onto the muddy floors of the area, Mando taps a button upon his arm, halting the movements of the child's pod to prevent it from following them into danger.

Each unsheathing their blasters, the duo tread with trepidation as they wander through the cave, wincing at each sound the mud makes beneath their boots. Droplets of water drip down from a crevice within the ceiling, though from where Eden knows not. When the darkness grows overwhelming, and they can no longer see even the vague silhouettes of each other, Mando switches on the light connected to the side of his helmet, gifting them a small ray of illuminance.

The light catches on the pale colour of bones, ones that must've come from a creature far larger than either bounty hunter. Eden kneels before them, her outstretched hand just barely brushing over them as she observes them closer. Chills creep down her spine as the thought of how the bones had come to be plagues her minds, as they do not appear to have belonged to a mudhorn. Nor would fate gift them the pleasure of the egg's one defence already being deceased.

An uneasy breath involuntarily passes the lips of Eden as the light lands upon something behind the bones, something scaly beneath the thick layer of mud. Her heart pounding in her ears, she takes a step from the bones, her grip upon her blaster tightening. Both frozen where they stand, the two bounty hunters watch as the eye of a mudhorn flickers open, staring directly at them. Before all chaos ensues, Eden manages to utter only one word. "Kriff."

The pair stand no chance against the newly awoken, and incredibly aggravated mudhorn. Their attempts to shoot it result in naught, their blaster bolts barely even grazing its tough skin. They last only a few moments before the creature slams into them, their bodies being flung around as though they are weightless. Their backs viscously collide with the ground beyond the cave as they're thrown outside, the two utterly drenched in mud.