Sweetheart

Misty stood beneath The Arena with the rest of the final year students waiting for the tests to begin. Some paced back and forth, while others stood completely still not saying a word. The nervous energy in the room was almost palpable. The ceiling above them shook with the roars and stomps of rowdy students. Misty was the last on the list to perform. This was no surprise to her. She had no doubt they had done it on purpose. They wanted her to wait in agony for her turn. They wanted her nerves to build with every student. They wanted to break her.

"Looks like you're right behind me, sweetheart," Scottie Derringer said as he slid beside her.

Misty's whole body clenched at the sound of his voice. Scottie was the grandson of the head Assemblymen and he never let anyone forget it. He was always walking around with a sense of superiority that was in no way justified or deserved. He was everything Misty despised, arrogant, under-handed, and privileged to all hell. And for whatever reason, he never could seem to leave her alone. She had no idea why he had taken a special interest in her. Maybe he thought she was easy target. Or maybe he was just a sick, sadistic brat who took joy in making other people miserable. She leaned towards more the latter.

"Yes, it does look that way," Misty said flatly.

"I'll be a tough act to follow," he said with a slimy, smug smile. "I hope you're up for the challenge."

"I'm not worried," Misty said.

Scottie chuckled and sucked in his cheeks as he gave her a slow nod. He took a step closer to her so he was only inches away. Misty could feel his warm breath caress her face.

"You know you're as tough as you are pretty," he said, his eyes grazing up and down her body.

Misty stood stiff, her muscles tight with eyes made of stone. Her jaw was so tight, she could feel her teeth grinding like chalk on a chalk board. She hated the way her looked at her. The way he stepped into her space like he was entitled to be close to her. It made her stomach churn.

"Why don't you give me a smile," he said softly as he ran the back of his hand gently along her jaw line. "I could make your life so easy. I could talk to my grandfather, put in a good word, convince him to give you forgiveness."

He leaned in closer still, and whispered in her ear.

"If only you showed me a little kindness," he said.

Misty the urge to wince and swat his hand. Kindness, she thought, you don't want kindness. You want submission. You want to own me. She didn't believe his promises. Even if she did, she would let herself burn before she gave herself up in exchange for forgiveness. Still, she knew she couldn't show her resentment and anger. She had to be careful. As much as she didn't want to admit it, he did have power over. If she was too harsh, he'd run right to his grandfather and moan about how mean and unfair she was to him. He'd insist she'd needed to be punished.

"You don't have anything to say?" He pushed.

"I need to focus," was all Misty said.

He looked her up and down once more and then finally took a step back.

"You're right," he said. "I've been told my presence can be rather...distracting."

Misty could feel her blood boiling. Please, please, just leave, she begged, but only in her her mind. She knew she couldn't tell him to leave or do anything to hurt his precious ego. She was at his mercy. All she could do was grin and bear it as she prayed for him to go away.

"This test is very important to me," she said.

She kept she said neutral, careful not to show either disdain or interest. Misty could only hope that he'd soon grow bored and move onto someone else.

"I know it is, sweetheart," he said. "It's so cute. The way you try so hard."

Cute? Misty thought. That's all my hard work and dedication is to you? Cute? She had devoted hours upon hours practicing and studying. She had followed every rule, attended every class, and worked herself to the bone just for it be deemed cute. The nerve of him. Who was he to degrade her like that. She was near her breaking point.

In a stroke of pure luck, Scottie's name rang through the air as he called to the stage. His time had come.

"Huh," he said. "Guess it's my turn. We'll have to finish this conversation some other time, sweetheart."

He smiled one last time and clicked his tongue against his cheek, chick-chick. He turned on his heel with his hands in pocket and walked into The Arena without a care in the world. Every one of Misty's muscles relaxed as soon as he walked away. Her shoulders drooped in relief and her fists un-clenched. That heavy discomfort that had consumed her was gone. She closed her eyes and took five deep breaths. In and out, in and out. You can do this, Misty, she reassured herself. He's nothing. No one. You'll show him. You'll show all of them.Your coven will be strong again. We will be respected, admired even. They won't dare cross you or your family.

Misty opened her eyes, letting the anger and determination rise, reclaiming her power. She cursed herself for allowing him to take it in the first place.