Three

Lilith lay wide awake in bed, staring at the ceiling. The bright light of the moon spilled in through a crack in the curtains. And that's what was the problem. Tonight was a full moon, and for whatever reason she could not sleep at all, no matter how hard she tried. She sat straight up, enjoying that her bed no longer squeaked.

   Lilith now had the room under the stairs that she had worked long for. It was extremely small, barely enough room for the space of two beds. But she liked it; she didn't need the room anyways. It was also nice that she could shut the door, and at night, go out the window freely. Where she was positioned, the chimney was right above her room, and she enjoyed going on the roof, and leaning against it, feeling it's warmth.

   Now, Lilith figured she'd go there now. There's no use laying in bed if she couldn't fall asleep.  She thought about going in the backyard to play around with her powers... no, the gardener might be awake, or he might have his dogs out. Nasty little things. They barked and barked at fruitless things, smelled, were really annoying. She heard them howling some nights.

  She settled for the roof then. Climbing out the window, and flew up, and sat on the edge of the roof. Looking up at the moon, Lilith marveled at how bright it was. It made the chimney cast a shadow. Lilith froze, hearing something. The slightest noise, but something. She tilted her head slightly and listened. A voice this time, from behind her?

  Lilith didn't think about it, but dashed behind the chimney, crouching down. More voices, from many people. But on the roof? She thought she only could come to the roof, and at night no less. She decided to listen.

"-moon right there, it's the master," a boys voice said. A ringing of laughter followed. Then howling. Howling. It sounded like what she thought was the dogs out back - but she stopped mid though. These boys were howling. Her mind panicked. Were they really... She shrank against the chimney when long shadows of wolves raced by. That confirmed it. They were werewolves. She had always thought they weren't real, but now that she thought again, why couldn't they?

   What if they found her? She realized with horror. If they were real, everything she'd seen about them are real. And one of the things were, vampires and werewolves are mortal enemies. There was only one of her and, from the voices, probably 5 plus of them. She would be stronger than one, but five ravaging wolves would be to much. She needed to leave, now.

   Peering around the edge of the chimney, she saw the shadows still, as they appeared to be sitting. They had their backs to her, and she quietly jumped off the edge, then flew the rest of the way to her room. Ever so slowly, she closed the window, locking it and pulling the curtains firmly shut.

  Quivering, she got into her bed. She lay down, knowing she wouldn't sleep, full moon or not. Not from what she'd seen. Werewolves. Real ones. Here. She needed to think about this. And come up with a solution.