Third floor: Puppy love

Claire

I followed him. Blast my luck but I followed the running werewolf. He knew about me, he had seen the men trying to get a hold of me that night on the street. I didn’t want him to ask and learn, but I wanted to make sure he hadn’t heard anything.

Before I could know, I had climbed the stairs, bolted straight through the corridor which was leading on the right to the living room and quickly turned left, following him to the curving stairs, which were leading to the next three floors. “Wait!” I shouted again and vaguely I heard Todd and Elfas shouting behind me.

When I finally reached the third floor, the door had just slammed closed. I stopped right in front of it, breathing hard. I leaned to my knees and took deep breaths, smiling under my rapid breathing. “You really run fast.” I looked at the closed wooden door. “Please open the door.”

“Claire!” Todd shouted and suddenly I was whisked up from the waist and thrown on Todd’s shoulder, caveman style. “You shouldn’t be here. The pup has just returned.”

“Put me down Todd!” I slapped his shoulders but he simply walked away from the werewolf’s door. Elfas stood at the top of the stairs watching us carefully. “Why did you follow him?” he asked.

I could tell them. But then suspicion would make everything harder. I needed this job, not for the money but for the safety they could provide. And if I could free them, then maybe they would help me too. “I wanted to meet him. He appeared suddenly while I was at the gym.” I lied.

Elfas nodded. “He always goes down there after his trips to the city.”

“Yes, he is a lucky ass.” Todd said as he walked down the stairs.

I growled “Put me down Todd.”

“Oh come on you are not heavy.”

I smacked his head from behind. “You thought I was heavy?”

“Why women always comment on their weight?” Todd sighed in a theatrical manner.

“Don’t ask me. I prefer them lean.” Elfas answered behind us.

“I like them curvy in all right places.” I heard Todd smile as he drawled on his words.

“You are disgusting. Both of you.” I spat and my feet touched the floor.

Todd smiled as he messed with my short hair. “Oh we know Claire, but now we have someone to mess with.”

“With all due respect of course.” Elfas said behind Todd and they both laughed.

I gave them the middle finger and closed the door of my room to their faces.

“Men, even the supernatural ones…” I pulled off my tee and headed to the bathroom. The water warm as it fell on my skin but I was still feeling cold. Lethinia’s life, Fred’s words and the werewolf were too much drama for one day.

When I got out and pulled a baggy long sleeved shirt from the wardrobe, I jumped on the bed and under the covers. It had been a while since I had fallen asleep, not making sure if I was followed. But I still never turned my back from the door.

I dreamed of teeth, jaws opening into a similar way of the shark movie, sinking on my flesh, blood pouring everywhere. But I wasn’t screaming, I was smiling, because I wanted the pain. It was my punishment for what I had done, what I couldn’t stand to do.