Chapter Five

—First Person POV.—

My eyes squint open, a groan escaping my lips as I move my head forward a bit and an ache runs up my neck.

'What happened..?' I mentally question— Mind jumbled without the ability to remember how exactly I had gotten on the forest floor.

'Wait, forest floor..?' My brows furrow as I go to push myself up, only to realize I can't move my arms or legs without being restricted.

And then I notice the weight on my body, holding me down against the dirt below— After my panic had set in, my eyes sight starts to go blurry and I close them to ease the ache settling in my head.

I don't know how long I stay like that and only 'wake up' again when I hear footsteps approach.

My head was still throbbing whenever I breathe and I didn't bother moving as whatever it was grew closer.

I blink, tired eyes glancing upwards towards what I now know to be a human standing a couple of feet away.

He tensely stares, looking over my body before dark eyes meet mine and they widen. With the slight movement of my head tilting upwards to watch him— The ropes around me scratch at my wings and I wince in pain.

Seeing this, the human drops whatever had been attached to his back before quickly stepping forward— Cautious eyes grazing over my own once more before he crouched in front of me.

I watch as he reaches for something beneath his cloak and pulls out a knife. The metal glints in the rays of light passing through the leaves above us and he glances to my eyes once more.

My breathing is quick now, I have seen what those metal objects can do to a dragon and I can't help but stare stiffly up at him as my thoughts start flying.

When I open my mouth to shout at him or possibly scare him off somehow— The only thing that escapes my lips is a shaky breath.

And finally I break the eye contact— Closing my eyes to rest and hope my death would be quick.

He doesn't seem to move for a few moments and I feel the rope strain against my skin as he tugs on it a bit— I grumble in pain and he quickly lets go for a second.

"Sorry.." His voice breathes, quickly yanking on the ropes— Then a snapping sound flicks through my ears and my eyes fly open.

One rope. It didn't seem to make any difference.

My pupils flicker downwards where he crouched near my stomach, pulling at another rope and I heard the sound of him cutting through it before it falls slack.

Another rope. The ones keeping my arms to my body loosen slightly and after another one is severed, my arms fall limp in front of me.

My brows furrow, I am fully awake now and can feel the rush of adrenaline filling me with each snap of the ropes before they go slack.

He pauses when he gets to my wing, eyes glancing to me before tensely grabbing and ridding the rope holding my limb down.

And he leans back down, cutting the ropes along my legs.

The second I don't feel any more ropes forcing my tail against the back of my legs— I lift and whack him, knocking the human back.

He lands with his back against a rock not too far away and by the time he opens his eyes again I've already shifted and am leaning over him.

My front claws graze along his neck, keeping him planted there as I glare down at him. His eyes are wide and when I see his hand reaching frantically for the object he had dropped earlier— My wings open up behind me.