Top News

"Hello?" I answered as I picked up the phone.

"Bethan, it's mum. Don't panic, but there are a load of news reporters and camera crews outside of the house." She told me, sounding distressed.

"What!?" I rushed to the window, peeking through the blinds. Just as mum had said, they were all out there, waiting for something.

"Whatever you do, don't open the door or go near the windows. If they see you, they'll go crazy. We're at the police station now, trying to sort something out."

"Do you know why they're here?"

"I have no clue. Just stay put, ok? I love you."

"I love you too." I sighed. I put the phone down, stressing over the situation. I was stuck in my own house, with no way out. I didn't dare go out the back way, just in case there were more TV crews waiting for my escape. What did they even want with me? Or did they want my family? I stuck the TV on, wondering if it would give me any more insight on the event.

"Last night, Spiderman was spotted climbing into this house behind me. We do not know if he was breaking in, other whether the people inside have anything to do with him." A woman spoke to the camera. A photo of Spiderman climbing into my window was shown, luckily I was not in this photo.

"SHIT!" I whispered. This was not good, not good at all. Spiderman's identity could be revealed, exposing himself to everyone.

"A fellow neighbour took this photo, reporting it to the police. The police have noted this and called in the house owners, Lee and Susan Hills. There have been no signs of life inside the house but we will stay outside until someone comes along. Back to the studio." I switched off the TV, screaming into a pillow. Peter needed to know about this if he hasn't already.

"The person you are calling is not available. Please leave a message or try again." This was the second time I had called Peter so I decided to leave a message.

"Hi, Peter. It's Bethan, uh...if you haven't seen the news already I think you should because we are in a whole load of deep shit. And...I'm sorry about crumbling this morning, especially when you needed me most. Bye." I stopped the call, mentally hitting myself for what I had said. It was the most stupid message I had ever made. I thought about calling his home phone but it might have seemed too clingy or worrying.

        But didn't I have a right to worry? He was my best friend, a best friend in danger. It wasn't like I couldn't worry about him. Peter was in death defying situations almost every week and only I knew about it. It was a tough secret to keep. Not because I couldn't keep it, it was just because everyone thought that Spiderman was a strong and noble hero. But under the mask, he was just an innocent teenage boy.

        As I waited for my parents, I tried calling Peter again. He would not pick up. May picked up but said, Peter refused to pick up the phone. This wasn't like, Peter. Why didn't he want to talk to me? Was it because it may have been my fault for him being exposed to the press? I couldn't put my mind at rest after the last phone call.

       Sirens and flashing lights from outside distracted me. My parents climbed out of their car which had been escorted by the other police cars. They both rushed to the house, having the police officers push away the crowd of reporters. As they walked in, I jumped on them, engulfing them in a hug. They clung onto me, trying to calm me down.

"You are going to get out of here, ok? The police are going to search the house to try and find out what happened." My mum explained.

"Bethan, Spiderman climbed through your bedroom window. Do you know what happened?" My dad asked. I shook my head, lowering it so that I wouldn't have to look at them."Peter is waiting in the car."

       Flashing lights and waving microphones were all I saw when I stepped outside. A police officer had to physically drag me to the car so that I wouldn't get crushed. As I climbed into the car, someone took my hand. They helped me in, and there he was. Peter was here for me. I clutched onto his torso, feeling his arms wrap around me. His head rested on top of mine. We stayed like this for the whole car journey.

"We'll come back in about an hour, unless you get a call from us. Don't leave this area." the police officer ordered. Peter and I nodded. We had been dropped off at his house and May was out. This meant that I could confront him without anyone hearing.

"What are we going to do?" I stressed.

"We aren't going to anything. I am going to sort this out myself." Peter headed upstairs. I quickly dashed up after him, following him into his room. I saw him to the drawers, pulling out the Spiderman suit.

"No, Peter! You can't go out there. What are you going to say?" I stressed trying to pry the suit out of his hands. He grabbed my waist and swung me onto his shoulder. Gently throwing me into the bed he had successfully retrieved the suit.

"I'll say that I was visiting you to see if you were ok. You know, because of the media making such a big deal about it. They won't question Spiderman, they love him too much."

"You can't go now."

"This is the perfect time. They are all outside your house!" he left the room to get changed. He shouted from another room,"And besides, if I do it now, it'll be over quicker!" Walking back into the room, he was now in his suit, the mask not on his face yet.

"But Peter-" Peter didn't let me finish my sentence as he hugged me. I hugged him back, sighing.

"This is to keep you safe, ok?" He pulled away, placing both of his hands on either side of my face. Kissing my cheek, he smiled then put them as I on and slipped out of the window.