Chapter Fifteen

As always, none of this is mine. This belongs to Stephenie Meyer. I just like to dabble in the playground she created.

Up next will be a shorter chapter and not my usual fare ... we're going to hear from both Maas and Renee. Both of them have been too quiet. I do have a plan, and as I said to the lovely ladies at the Chicago Twific Meet Up, I can't get the characters to speak to me. I just need to get there.

Chapter Fifteen

MaasPOV

Sitting at my desk, I searched, fruitlessly, for any sort of connection of my sister to Edward Cullen. If anything, the ties between Cullen and Charlotte, were negligible. It pissed me off to no end. A passing happenstance, at most. There were more ties between Charlotte and Royce's organization.

And the evidence of sexual assault didn't link Cullen to her, at all. She had been killed with evidence that she'd been used and abused by a majority of the inner circle of Royce's organization.

The further I delved into this mess, the more confused I got.

Angrier, too.

Had I been played?

"Maas, you're burning the candle at both ends," teased my partner, Miguel. "Anything I can help with?"

"Nah," I answered. I just don't want to go home. I'm avoiding the cunt who's taken up residence in my life. What the hell was I thinking? Right, I wasn't. "I'm trying to catch up on some paperwork. Go home. Spend time with your family."

"You should do the same, Peter," Miguel chuckled. "Or, perhaps, spend some time with that hot, little piece from the benefit. She's got a tight body."

"Not really," I grumbled under my breath, glowering at my computer screen. I blew out a breath and turned to look at my partner. He looked at me expectantly. "Renee and I ... we're complicated and we're dealing some issues. I'm avoiding going home because of that."

"You two seemed cozy at the benefit," Miguel argued.

"The issues are all very recent," I shrugged. "Look, the sooner I finish this shit, the sooner I can possibly make amends. I'll see you tomorrow." Miguel nodded, shooting me a wave before leaving the precinct.

I pulled up my sister's file, seeing if there were any more connections to Cullen. The only one was her brief conversation with him on the night he was abducted from some kinky sex club, prior to his wedding to Isabella Swan. Maybe, he didn't kill her.

Regardless, he still was a monster, an animal. He had connections to several known criminal organizations. Unfortunately, those connections were loose and difficult to pin any wrongdoing on those associations. Additionally, Cullen was meticulous about not getting his hands dirty.

It was just only a matter of time.

Or, I try my second plan and use his wife to bring him down.

I opened up another file about Isabella Cullen, née Swan. She was Detective Charles Swan's daughter. He had an impressive jacket, bringing down numerous perps and winning several accolades before being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Isabella was a fine, upstanding citizen. She used her father's life insurance policy to pay for her undergraduate degree. She was halfway through her graduate degree when she decided to quit. The reason given was illness. She'd been diagnosed with pneumonia, missing nearly most of the semester.

Then, she married Cullen after he'd been abducted.

"Why did you get into bed with a monster, Isabella?" I asked, looking at her smiling face. She was standing next to our superintendent with Edward on the night of the benefit. She was beautiful, with pale skin, a warm blush, rich, chestnut hair and curves in all the right places, making her look feminine and lovely. All three of them were grinning happily and it pissed me off. The fact that our chief was colluding with a known criminal was disgusting.